Unofficial Nationals mascot nearly loses COVID-19 battle – .

Unofficial Nationals mascot nearly loses COVID-19 battle – .

Washington Nationals fans are familiar with the team’s unofficial mascot, Captain Obvious. But a serious illness has kept the comedy away from the national park since opening day: COVID-19.

A photo of Captain Obvious, the unofficial Washington Nationals mascot, known for his witty signs
OMCP/Michelle Basch
Captain Obvious can be seen with his long beard and fun outfit when he attends games at Nationals Park.
OMCP/Michelle Basch
Captain Obvious, real name Ted Peters, was in hospital for more than two months after contracting COVID-19.
Courtesy of Ted Peters
After surviving COVID-19, Captain Obvious said he was ready to return to Nationals Park.
Courtesy of Ted Peters

Washington Nationals fans are familiar with the team’s unofficial mascot, Captain Obvious: a smiling, bearded joker who comes to the stadium with signs with hilarious messages such as “winning is fun.”

But a serious illness has kept the comedy away from the national park since opening day: COVID-19.

“It’s a miracle I’m here,” said Ted Peters, a longtime subscriber from Haymarket, Va., Who has worn the captain’s hat, a white shirt with epaulets and an “OBVIOUS” belt for years. . “I was close to death. It almost took me.

Peters – who is in his 50s – didn’t take the coronavirus seriously at first and didn’t get the shot.

“To be honest, I have always played down the importance of this virus because I thought it hit the elderly. I didn’t consider myself old, ”he said.

Then, in early April, Peters attended a rehearsal dinner for his daughter’s wedding. “We seemed to be following all protocols until then, but two or three days later 20 of us fell with COVID,” he said.

Peters landed in the hospital for over two months, spending about 20 days on a ventilator. He was heavily drugged.

“My oxygen levels have dropped to 17% when they should be 100% (or) 99%,” he said.

Peters said he was suffering from pneumonia and blood clots and was approaching a point of no return.

“One of the doctors said that’s where you fight or die. I remember he said that. I processed it in my brain in a dream, ”said Peters.

In his dreamlike state in the hospital, he also had what he calls a vision. He describes being in a golden room, where a voice was speaking to him.

“Right next to me was a bridge that I was coaxed to walk on,” Peters said. “And I was like, I’m not so sure about it. The person who spoke to me said, well, you have 12 minutes to make a decision.

Before time was up, Peters said, he walked out of the room.

“I still believe I was given a test… and I’m still here. So there is more to do in this life.

In mid-June, Peters was released from the hospital to a rehab center for physical therapy.

On July 1, he finally returned home where he underwent physical and occupational therapy and became stronger.

The plan is for Captain Obvious to return to Nats Park in a month or two, possibly in a brand new captain costume. Peters lost 80 pounds in the hospital, so even his hat is too big for him now.

“It’s still fresh in my mind what I did to my family and the caregivers,” Peters said, his voice filling with emotion.

“They didn’t know me from Adam, but they fought around the clock… to save my life. It’s humiliating that so many people come together and tell me to fight even though I had very little hope of surviving it. And I can’t thank people enough.

He also wants people to know that COVID-19 is no joke.

“It’s a nasty little virus, and if you don’t take it seriously, it could kill you.” “

You can follow Peters’ recovery at Twitter or Instagram.

More news on the coronavirus

Looking for more information? DC, Maryland, and Virginia each publish more data each day. Visit their official websites here: Virginia | Maryland | CC


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here