Tokyo Olympics: Six GB Team Athletes Self-Isolate After Close Contact With Coronavirus

0
17
Tokyo Olympics: Six GB Team Athletes Self-Isolate After Close Contact With Coronavirus


Six British athletes have been forced into quarantine in Tokyo after being considered close contacts of an individual who tested positive for coronavirus after his flight to Japan.

The six, all members of the track team, plus two support staff, are now isolated in their respective hotel rooms at the GB team’s training camp in Yokohama.

In addition, the PA News Agency understands that two team members from Team GB’s headquarters are isolated in the Olympic Village following close contact with another person who tested positive in Japan, bringing the total number of individuals from the GB team affected.

The British Olympic Association has confirmed that the group of eight have all tested negative for the virus and will continue to follow instructions from the Games and Japanese government officials. It is understood that the same is true in the other two cases.

The BOA said in a statement: “The British Olympic Association can confirm that six athletes and two athletic team staff, who through no fault of their own have been identified as close contacts of an individual – and not from the GB team delegation – who tested positive for Covid-19 following their return flight on July 16, 2021.

“This was identified via the Tokyo 2020 reporting service and the group has since started a period of self-isolation in their rooms at the FOB preparation camp, in accordance with the Tokyo 2020 Playbook protocols.

“The group all tested negative at the airport and continued to test negative upon arrival in the country. They are under the supervision of the GB team medical team, led by Chief Medical Officer Dr Niall Elliott.

“BOA continues to apply extensive Covid-19 testing protocols and mitigation measures and follows all respective health guidelines from the Government of Japan, TOCOG, IOC and our local partners in Japan. “

The news is sure to hurt the team’s preparations, the majority of whom remain in Yokohama alongside athletes from other sports, including swimming, boxing and gymnastics, before their gradual move to the Olympic Village ahead of their respective competitions. .

GB Team Chef de Mission Mark England said: “This is disappointing news for the athletes and staff, but we absolutely adhere to the protocols in place.

“We will offer them our full support during this time and hope that they can resume training soon. “

“This is disappointing news for the athletes and the staff, but we absolutely respect the protocols in place. We will offer them our full support during this time and hope that they can resume training soon. “

Two South African soccer players became the first athletes to test positive for the virus in the Olympic Village

The news comes on the same day that two South African soccer players became the first to test positive for the virus in the Olympic Village.

And it comes amid growing skepticism in Tokyo – which recorded more than 1,000 new cases for the fourth day in a row – amid the insistence of International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach that the risk that the Japanese public be infected with the virus by a participant in the Games is “zero”.

The duration of the forced isolation of a person considered to be a close contact of a positive case is determined on a case-by-case basis by the Japanese government.

Last week, the South African rugby sevens team was forced into quarantine for four days as it was seen as close contact from a passenger who tested positive on their flight to Tokyo.

Although 17 of the 18 staff members affected were subsequently allowed to continue to their training camp, it is understood that one of them remains in quarantine.

The affected footballers, named by the South African Football Association on Sunday as Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi, were among 10 new Games-related cases announced on Sunday.

A Games official was the first individual based in the village to test positive on Saturday, the same day Bach insisted the Games would be “safe and secure”.

Also among the 10 new positive cases linked to the Games is a third athlete who tested positive upon arrival in Japan. The other positive cases were five “Games staff”, one member of the media and one entrepreneur.

A third non-playing member of the South African squad also tested positive upon arriving in Tokyo.

Team director Mxolisi Sibam said in a statement: “Masha and Monyane reported high temperatures and positive saliva tests, and then had to take the nasal test… and they unfortunately tested positive. for Covid-19. “

At a press conference on Sunday, IOC Executive Director Christophe Dubi appeared to reverse Bach’s bullish optimism, admitting: “There is no such thing as zero risk.

“At the same time, mingling with the population is incredibly limited. We can make transmission between different groups almost impossible.

“With all the measures in place, including the separation at the Olympic Village, we are keeping the risk to an absolutely minimal level. “

Meanwhile, the IOC Refugee Team delayed arriving in the Japanese capital from its training camp in Qatar after a member of its delegation tested positive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here