Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi have tested positive, the South African Football Association said, as has team video analyst Mario Masha. They are among 10 new Games-related cases announced on Sunday.
“We have three positive cases of COVID-19 in the camp here, two players and an official,” team manager Mxolisi Sibam said in a press release.
“There is daily screening […] Masha and Monyane reported high temperatures and positive saliva tests, then were taken for the nasal test […] and they unfortunately tested positive for COVID-19. Mahlatsi is the last player to go through the same process.
“This unfortunate situation made us miss our first intensive training last night. “
South Africa will face Japan on Thursday.
A Games official was the first individual based in the village to test positive on Saturday, the same day IOC President Thomas Bach insisted the Games would be “safe and secure”.
Also among the 10 new positive cases linked to the Games is a third athlete who tested positive upon arrival in Japan. The other positive cases were five “Games staff”, one member of the media and one contractor.
IOC President Thomas Bach insisted on Thursday that the risk of the Japanese public being infected with the virus by a participant in the Games is “zero”.
However, nervousness is mounting in Tokyo after the city recorded more than 1,000 new cases for the fourth day in a row, with the number of Games-related cases since July 1 now rising to 55.
Last week, the South African rugby sevens team was forced into quarantine for four days as it was seen as close contact from a passenger who tested positive on their flight to Tokyo.