Federal prosecutors in New York have filed a motion seeking leave to include evidence of alleged uncharged crimes committed by R. Kelly in his upcoming sex trafficking trial.
The disgraced singer, 54, is set to stand trial in Brooklyn next month after being charged with 22 felonies, including child sexual exploitation, production of child pornography, racketeering and obstruction of Justice.
Prosecutors say Kelly ran a company made up of managers, bodyguards and other employees who helped him recruit women and girls for sex.
Prosecutors on Friday submitted a new case asking a judge to admit evidence for other uncharged acts which they say are “directly relevant and inextricably linked to the evidence of the crimes charged.”
They include a shocking allegation that Kelly sexually abused a 17-year-old boy – known as John Doe # 1 – after meeting him at a Chicago McDonalds in 2006.
The documents further claim that this boy subsequently introduced Kelly to another underage male, identified only as John Doe # 2.
Several years later, prosecutors claim Kelly started sex with John Doe # 2. They also allege that the star forced several of his “girlfriends” – including a minor – to have sex with the young man while he was filming them.
Federal prosecutors in New York have filed a motion seeking leave to include evidence of alleged uncharged crimes committed by R. Kelly in his upcoming sex trafficking trial. He is pictured during a court hearing in September 2019
Kelly is pictured in 2006 – the same year he allegedly started a relationship with a 17-year-old boy, he met a McDonald’s
In addition to the shocking sex allegations, the new case implicates Kelly in bribing a Cook County employee in February 2019 – the same month the Cook County State Attorney’s Office charged the star with 10 counts. aggravated sexual abuse.
Prosecutors said a “crisis manager” for Kelly had given the clerk $ 2,500 and a “back-up phone” to get inside information on legal matters.
The legal deposit comes less than four weeks before Kelly’s trial begins.
A judge recently gave the trial a slight delay, pushing opening statements back to August 9-18 after Kelly got a new legal team.
He is currently being held at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn. Ghislaine Maxwell is another prominent inmate at the prison.
The legal deposit comes less than four weeks before Kelly’s trial begins. Kelly is pictured in a court sketch earlier this month
A judge recently gave the trial a slight delay, pushing opening statements back to August 9-18 after Kelly secured a new legal team
The federal lawsuit will revolve around claims that Kelly and a group of managers and bodyguards recruited women and girls for sex.
Federal prosecutors said the group selected the victims at concerts and other venues and arranged for them to travel to see Kelly. The Grammy-winning singer denies ever abusing anyone.
He also faces state charges in Minnesota, Illinois and New York, but his federal trial will take place first. It has been delayed several times since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.
He was charged following the Surviving R. Kelly docuseries, where several women said they were abused by him.
In the docuseries, several women claimed that he and his entourage had starved them and deprived them of their cell phones.
They allegedly controlled the women’s sleep and also forced them to have sex with each other.
He has always denied any wrongdoing and in an interview with Gayle King, he blew up and claimed to have been the victim of a set-up.
If found guilty, Kelly could spend the rest of his life in prison.
The federal lawsuit will revolve around claims that Kelly and a group of managers and bodyguards recruited women and girls for sex. In the photo, in September 2019