The millionaire ace – also a regular player for his country – saw his home raided by police and was arrested on Friday.
The Mirror cannot name him for legal reasons.
Police released a statement saying the star was arrested last week.
The statement, from Greater Manchester Police, read: ‘Officers arrested a 31-year-old man on Friday, July 16, 2021 on suspicion of child sex offenses.
“He is free on bail by the police pending further investigations. “
The player’s club have confirmed to Mirror Football that he has been suspended.
They said: “The club can confirm that they have suspended a first-team player pending a police investigation.
“The Club will continue to support the authorities in their investigations and will not make any further statements at this time.
A source told the Mirror: “It has caused a huge shock.
“Any suggestion of allegations of offenses involving a child is rightly taken seriously when they are made. “
The footballer has earned a fortune in wages and attracted transfer fees of several million pounds during his career.
The insider added: “It is clear that this matter needs to be fully investigated. Allegations of this nature will cause considerable alarm among everyone within the club, the fans and the general public.
“Now we have to wait and see where the investigation takes us. “
Get your hands on your club’s annual 2021/22 special edition. Learn more here .