The two sides agreed to resort to arbitration in early 2022 due to evidence disclosure issues.
The news will be a huge disappointment for Newcastle fans, who were hoping that PCP Capital Partners’ proposed takeover of financier Amanda Staveley and Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund could materialize before the new season.
The delay means current owner Mike Ashley could remain at the helm for the entire 2021/22 campaign, which could impact any potential transfer budget available for manager Steve Bruce.
A joint statement from Newcastle and the Premier League on Monday said: “The parties today attended a hearing in the case between Newcastle United and the Premier League.
“The main arbitration hearing has unfortunately been adjourned until early 2022 due to disclosure issues.
“The parties will not make any further comments at this time. “
The buyout plan collapsed last summer as it was under consideration as part of the Premier League owners and directors test, due to a possible link between the Public Investment Fund and the state Saudi.
The consortium withdrew, citing the delay in the process, but maintained its interest in a deal.
Ashley is still keen to see the takeover go through and has launched a request for arbitration based on how the Premier League assessed the offer.
Around 300 Newcastle supporters traveled to London last Friday to protest that they feel ‘kept in the dark’ of the process.
Staveley called on the government to act urgently and ensure that the Premier League’s decision on future club ownership is transparent.
Newcastle fans want answers
Holly Blades, a Newcastle supporter and organizer of protests, said the silence surrounding the process ahead of the arbitration outcome frustrated fans while damaging the club.
Blades staged the London protests last week to reiterate the message to the Premier League that they want answers as soon as possible.
“We felt compelled to organize the demonstration because it has been 15 months that we are now waiting for a response to this takeover, the longest time it has taken for something like that,” she said. told Sky Sports News.
“We just feel like we can’t stay in this limbo any longer and we can’t sit back and have no comment from the Premier League.
“We need some sort of answers because it’s not fair to the fans, Steve Bruce, the players, anyone – because we really don’t know what’s going on with the club and that puts in an extremely damaging situation. “