Apple released new versions of its iOS, tvOS and watchOS operating systems for iPhone, Apple TV and Apple Watch devices on Monday. Dubbed iOS 14.7, tvOS 14.7, and watchOS 7.6, the updates are relatively small and include tweaks, bug fixes, and one or two minor new features.
The main impetus for the iOS update appears to be additional support for the recently launched MagSafe battery pack, which is compatible with the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro ranges.
Additionally, Apple cardholders can now “combine credit limits and share an account with an existing Apple Card user,” a new option first announced by Apple earlier this year.
Beyond that, the update is mostly about bug fixes and small tweaks, and it expands the regions for which the weather app provides air quality information. (It adds Canada, France, Italy, the Netherlands, South Korea, and Spain.)
Apple’s release notes for iOS 14.7 are as follows:
iOS 14.7 includes the following improvements and bug fixes for your iPhone:
- MagSafe battery support for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple Card Family Adds Ability to Combine Credit Limits and Share a Condominium Account with an Existing Apple Card User
- Home app adds ability to manage timers on HomePod
- Air quality information is now available in Weather and Maps for Canada, France, Italy, the Netherlands, South Korea and Spain
- Podcast library lets you choose to see all shows or only watched shows
- Missing Share Playlist Menu Option in Apple Music
- Dolby Atmos and Apple Music lossless audio playback may stop unexpectedly
- Battery service message which may be gone after restart on some iPhone 11 models is restored
- Braille screens may display invalid information when composing email messages
For more information about the security content of Apple Software Updates, please visit this website:
tvOS et watchOS
As is often the case, the tvOS 14.7 update does not seem to be anything to write home about. Apple says it offers bug fixes and small improvements, but the company hasn’t released a detailed list of changes.
There’s a little more going on with watchOS, but not a lot. Update 7.6 also fixes bugs and makes small adjustments, but the flagship change appears to be the addition of ECG support in 30 other regions. You can see the full list of countries and regions that support the feature on Apple’s watchOS website.
All three updates (iOS 14.7, tvOS 14.7, and watchOS 7.6) have been rolled out to all supported devices in all regions today. Oddly enough, we haven’t seen an accompanying iPadOS 14.7 update yet; Apple typically updates iOS and iPadOS in tandem.