Man rescued after multi-day grizzly bear battle in Alaskan cabin – National – .

Man rescued after multi-day grizzly bear battle in Alaskan cabin – National – .

A man survived a sleepless confrontation with a grizzly bear in his isolated mining camp in Alaska, where the beast injured him and then relentlessly harassed him every night for several days in hopes of finishing him off.

The unidentified man, who is in his 50s or early 60s, suffered a leg injury and a bruised torso from his fight with the bear, according to the helicopter crew of the guards- American shores that saved him.

Coast Guard officers spotted a “HELP ME” message scrawled on the roof of the man’s small mining hut on July 16, during an accidental helicopter overflight on an unrelated mission.

Read more:

Woman dragged out of tent, killed by grizzly bear in Montana

“We don’t really meet people in the middle of nowhere,” Lt. AJ Hammac told The New York Times. “He was sort of in trouble. When we arrived he was on all fours waving a white flag.

The story continues under the ad

They landed the helicopter and discovered that the man was injured, deprived of sleep, and running out of ammunition to defend against the bear.

“He had a gun,” said helicopter pilot Lt. Cmdr. Jared Carbajal. “He said the bear came back every night and hadn’t slept for a few days.

Read more:

Alaskan man survives 10-second ‘frightening’ brown bear mutilation

The man had duct tape wrapped around his leg injury and appeared to be emerging from an adrenaline rush from his battle with the bear, officers told The Times.

He had been alone at the cabin outside of Nome, Alaska since July 12, working on a small mining claim in an area with no cell reception.

“His friends had reported him late after he did not return to Nome,” the Coast Guard said in a press release.

The helicopter crew found evidence of the struggle in the camp, including a loose door that had been ripped from the hut.

“At one point, a bear had dragged him to the river,” Carbajal told the newspaper.

Read more:

Raging bear shot dead after injuring 4, disrupting flights in Japan

The story continues under the ad

The man had only two rounds left in his pistol and probably would not have survived any longer without the rescue, according to Petty Officer 1st Class Ali Blackburn, a spokesman for the Coast Guard.

“I imagine you would be a little crazy after not sleeping so long,” she told The Times.

The victim was taken to hospital and treated for his injuries.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here