MUMBAI, July 14 (Reuters) – The failure of China and India to resolve the deadlock over their disputed border in the Western Himalayas, despite a deal last year, is not in the interests of ‘neither side, India’s foreign minister told his Chinese counterpart. Wednesday.
In line with last year’s pact, military commanders on both sides completed the withdrawal of troops, tanks and artillery from the Pangong Lake area in February, the first step towards a complete withdrawal of other friction points.
Indian Foreign Minister S Jaishankar said friction in these other areas, however, remained unresolved.
“(The Minister) recalled that the two parties had agreed that an extension of the existing situation was not in the interest of either party. This was obviously having a negative impact on relations, ”India’s foreign ministry said in a statement.
Jaishankar and Chinese Wang Yi met Wednesday on the sidelines of a meeting of foreign ministers in Tajikistan.
Thousands of soldiers have been clashing since April 2020 on the Line of Real Control (LAC), or de facto border, especially at glacial Lake Pangong, raising fears of a wider conflict between the two countries.
Indian and Chinese soldiers were killed in a clash in June last year – the first combat casualties on the disputed border in more than four decades.
The two ministers agreed to seek a mutually acceptable solution to the problem and ensure stability on the ground by avoiding any unilateral action that could increase tension, the statement said.
Reporting by Abhirup Roy and CK Nayak Editing by Sonya Hepinstall
Our Standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.