Apple has now released public beta versions for iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, tvOS 15, and soon macOS Monterey. We’ve covered how to get the beta versions of iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 here. Follow below if you also want to test the latest Apple Watch software.
WatchOS 8 is expected to get a full and stable version this fall. It brings a handful of new features, including more types of workout in the Fitness app, a new Mindfulness app, a watch face that works with Portrait mode photos taken on an iPhone, as well as weather and home apps. improved intelligent, among others. It is compatible with Apple Watch Series 3, Series 4, Series 5, Series 6 and SE models.
Before we tell you how to install the beta, there are some important things you should know:
- Beta software is often buggy, and you might have issues with third-party apps. Some bugs can include poor performance and poor battery life, an area where the Apple Watch isn’t great even with stable software. It’s best to try it on a secondary watch if you have one (which admittedly most people don’t).
- Unlike the beta versions of iOS and iPadOS, there is no way to revert to the stable version of watchOS 7 if you install the beta of watchOS 8. If it is buggy and does not work well for you , you’re stuck with it until Apple releases the stable version in the fall. That’s probably reason enough to stay away from this one, especially if you’re relying on your Apple Watch.
If that doesn’t scare you, here’s how to install the watchOS 8 beta on an Apple Watch:
- Before you can install the beta version of watchOS 8, the beta version of iOS 15 must be installed on your iPhone. Go follow these instructions and come back here when you’re done.
- Go to Apple’s beta software page in Safari on your iPhone.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Scroll down and tap on the “Get Started” link.
- Tap the watchOS 8 tab at the top of the page.
- Select “enroll your Apple Watch” in the Start section of the watchOS 8 tab.
- Scroll down and tap the “Download Profile” button, then select “Allow” from the pop-up window.
- Install the beta profile in the Watch app on your iPhone, which should open automatically once the profile is downloaded.
- You will be prompted to restart your Apple Watch. Press the button to authorize it.
- After the Apple Watch restarts, go to the Watch app, tap “General”, tap “Software Update”.
- You should see the beta version of watchOS 8 ready to install on your watch. Press “Install” to continue.
- The software update will be downloaded to your phone and then transferred to the watch. To complete the installation, the watch must be on its charger, within range of your iPhone, connected to Wi-Fi, and with a charge of 50% or more. If all of these criteria are not met, the installation will be interrupted until the watch is ready.
Once the beta software is installed, the watch will restart and you will be ready to use it. In our experience, some complications and third-party apps did not work until they were manually opened on the watch or the watch was restarted a second time.