Historic Miami-Dade courthouse closed due to “security concerns” after condo collapse – .

Historic Miami-Dade courthouse closed due to “security concerns” after condo collapse – .

The historic Miami-Dade County Courthouse has been closed after an engineer reported “security concerns” following a condo collapse near Surfside, Fla., Officials said on Friday.

Courthouse staff were asked to work from home after the engineer’s report – prompted by the Champlain Towers South condo collapse – “identified security issues with various floors,” the mayor of the Miami-Dade County Daniella Levine Cava in a joint statement with other officials. .

The report “recommended that floors 16 and above be closed to staff while repairs are quickly completed,” the statement said.

All court cases will be conducted remotely from Monday, officials said, and anyone who has scheduled legal proceedings will receive notices with instructions for remote access.

The courthouse – a 28-story building at 73 West Flagler Street in downtown Miami – was built between 1925 and 1928, according to documents from the county’s Office of Historic Preservation. It was designated a Local Historic Site in 1985 and four years later was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

As of Saturday morning, at least 86 people have been confirmed dead in the collapse of the South Champlain Towers, triggering a wave of examinations of buildings across the region to ensure their structural integrity.

Speaking at Saturday morning’s press conference at the site of the condo collapse, Mayor Levine Cava said the county “has taken action in light of what has happened here to be very aggressive in the pursuit of security in all these buildings ”.

As for the courthouse, “we know there have been problems in this building,” she said. “Some structural concerns were identified, some columns that needed to be – some support work that needed to be done. “

“It was known and the activities had continued, but given the circumstances, we have already authorized the start of repair work,” she added. “And I hope that can be done quickly and that we can resume normal operations at the courthouse.” “

Staff had been working remotely for a year due to Covid-19, and they had only returned to the building about a week ago, the mayor said.

“So they have… everything they need to continue operating remotely and also in other places,” said the mayor, adding that this should not “substantially” disrupt the activities of the courts.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here