Earlier, a Wembley spokesperson had confirmed that a ‘small group’ of ticketless fans breached security and were able to gain access to the stadium before kick-off on Sunday at 8pm.
Images have also emerged in the hours leading up to England’s penalty shootout loss to Italy in Leicester Square.
In a statement released after the match, Met Police said: “We have made 45 arrests while monitoring today’s Euro 2020 final.
“A number of officers remain on duty, helping fans leaving Wembley or central London. We’re here to keep you safe. “
England were in a men’s major tournament final for the first time since the 1966 World Cup.
The Football Association condemned the “totally unacceptable” actions of those who forced entry into the stadium.
An FA spokesperson said in a statement: “These people are a disgrace to the England team and to all true fans who wanted to enjoy one of the most important games in our history.
“We will work with the relevant authorities to take action against anyone identified as having illegally forcibly entered the stadium. “
Wembley officials had previously refused to allow fans access to the floor without tickets.
Huge crowds of people gathered earlier outside Wembley and across London throughout the day, prompting police to urge anyone without a ticket not to come to the stadium.