South Korea reported a daily record of 1,784 coronavirus cases for Tuesday, breaking a record set last week as the country grapples with outbreaks caused by the delta, the Korea Control Agency said on Wednesday. disease prevention.
Meanwhile, a survey in India found that 67% of the country had anti-coronavirus antibodies, up from 24% when the last survey was conducted in December-January, reports The Times of India.
More information on these stories shortly. In the meantime, here are other key recent developments:
- A activist for democracy and confidante of fallen Burmese leader Aung San Suu Kyi died after contracting Covid-19 in prison, the authorities said.
- New infections in France are increasing at an unprecedented rate due to the Delta variant, after 18,000 cases were reported in the last 24 hours, according to the Minister of Health Olivier Véran.
- The head of the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee did not rule out the cancellation of the Olympics if the cases of Covid-19 increased sharply, as more athletes have tested positive for the virus and sponsors have abandoned plans to attend Friday’s opening ceremony.
- Fox News host Sean Hannity had a message for viewers of his prime-time show Tuesday night: “Please take Covid seriously. ” The influential host, a close ally of Donald Trump, also said, “I believe in science, I believe in the science of vaccination. ”
- A man from Perth, Australia escaped compulsory quarantine at a hotel by reducing a rope made of sheets tied together from a fourth-floor window, the police said.