Canadiens Sponsors Satisfied With Owner’s Apology After Mailloux Pick – .

0
17
Canadiens Sponsors Satisfied With Owner’s Apology After Mailloux Pick – .


MONTREAL – As a Montreal group that helps victims of sexual assault continue to criticize the Montreal Canadiens’ decision to recruit a player convicted of a sex offense in Sweden, sponsors who previously expressed concern say that they stay with the team.
The roast chicken company Groupe St-Hubert and the financial services company Desjardins Group said they were satisfied with the apologies presented the day before by team owner Geoff Molson.

Corporate sponsors publicly questioned the Habs’ decision to select 18-year-old Logan Mailloux last Friday in the first round of the NHL Draft. The companies today announced their decision to continue their association with the hockey team.

“We appreciate the fact that Mr. Molson took responsibility for the decision and apologized for it,” said St-Hubert spokesperson Josée Vaillancourt.

Desjardins said in a statement that he was also pleased with the team’s response.

“We contacted the Canadiens on Monday to share our unease over this decision,” said Desjardins spokesperson Valérie Lamarre. “We are satisfied with the sincerity of the comments expressed by Geoff Molson.

For Treves pour Elles, a Montreal-based non-profit group that fights against sexual violence, the fact that the Montreal Canadiens do not reverse their draft pick is a mistake.

“The message remains the same, that the well-being and safety of women are worth less than a man’s career,” said Geneviève Brochu, social worker for the group.

The Habs draft pick has come under heavy criticism because Mailloux was fined by Swedish authorities last year after admitting two charges related to sharing, without his consent, a photo of a woman performing a sexual act.

Molson’s statement said Mailloux’s actions “do not reflect the values” of the team, adding that the Canadiens had no intention of harming the victim when they selected him and they went. committed to educating people about sexual consent. He said Mailloux would not be attending rookie and training camps this year.

The St-Hubert Group said in a statement that the company is confident that the organization of Canadians will take action to raise awareness of sexual misconduct.

“This will hopefully bring positive changes to the table,” said Vaillancourt. “We continue to disapprove of acts of abuse and misconduct, regardless of a person’s status in society. “

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin told reporters on Wednesday he supported Molson’s statement, promising the team’s actions would speak louder than words. Bergevin, however, declined to describe Mailloux’s actions as a crime.

In Canada, non-consensual publication of an intimate image is a Criminal Code offense and, in the most serious cases, is punishable by imprisonment for up to five years.

“It’s a crime,” Brochu said in an interview with The Canadian Press. “Beating around the bush and using phrases like ‘serious mistake’ or ‘youthful mistake’ contributes to the trivialization and culture of rape. “

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here