here is Tom Morgan with the latest news on the troublesome Tokyo weather:
Storms towards Tokyo forced Tuesday’s rowing schedule to be postponed – but the GB team is increasingly convinced that a typhoon alert is abating.
Men’s and women’s triathlons are safe, the sport’s governing body insisted on Sunday despite World Rowing having managed to erase a busy day of semi-finals and finals.
Tuesday’s weather “will bring high winds and strong gusts, creating uneven and potentially unreliable racing conditions,” World Rowing said.
However, the heat presented an equally important challenge for organizers, with players like Novak Djokovic and Daniil Medvedev calling for a change in the tennis schedule due to the sweltering conditions that players called “the most difficult”. they have known. “I don’t understand why they don’t start games at, say, 3pm,” said the world number 1.
Responding to concerns about the schedule, Mikako Kotani, of the Tokyo Organizing Committee, said: “We are working with all the international federations. They have a lot of experience, so it was they who had the last word. The organizing committee has developed its own thermal countermeasures. It can involve ice, water or we have break rooms where they can take a break and cool off. And if it’s really hot, we’ll take thermal breaks. “
She said organizers were monitoring the weather down to the minute to also keep abreast of the storm that is expected to hit Tokyo in the next 24 hours. “It’s also about the heat but also, like in a typhoon,” Kotani added. “We actually have a weather information center, which updates the data every minute. We therefore make sure that we can react immediately to any change in the weather. “
Temperatures reached 34C in Tokyo on Saturday, then 32C on Sunday.
However, high winds are expected to hit Tokyo on Monday, creating “possibly uneven and potentially rowing race conditions,” according to the IOC.
Kotani, from the organizing committee, added: “The competitions which were to take place tomorrow have been postponed until today and yesterday. We are now in the process of making other decisions to change the schedule. There will therefore be sport that will be impacted by the weather. We can get the information in advance and we are discussing closely with the IFs, but if they suggest changing the schedule in advance, we will consider that option. ”