Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, hospitalized with complications from a near-fatal stabbing in 2018, said on Saturday he was feeling well and looking forward to getting back to work.
Vila Nova Star Hospital, where Bolsonaro has been since Wednesday, said he was making good progress and could be released in a few days, while chief surgeon Antonio Macedo told reporters he could be released on Sunday.
Bolsonaro was offered a diet of soups and mash on Saturday, and assuming he hasn’t shown any negative reactions, he could be released in the next few days, the hospital statement said.
Bolsonaro, 66, has been hospitalized since Wednesday in São Paulo hospital for treatment related to intestinal obstruction following the stabbing of 2018.
He was reportedly initially admitted to a military hospital in the capital, Brasilia, after suffering from incessant hiccups that lasted for more than 10 days.
Bolsonaro’s state of health had been the subject of media speculation after a succession of public appearances in which he visibly struggled to express himself.
Prior to his admission to hospital, Bolsonaro said on social media that his hiccup problem started after having dental surgery on June 3, and blamed it on medication he was prescribed.
During a live online event on Saturday to mark the opening of a Caixa Economica bank branch in the northern state of Ceará, Bolsonaro said he was feeling good and was eager to return to work.
” I am fine thank God. The problem I had earlier this week was still due to the stab I received in 2018… every now and then it affects the gut, ”Bolsonaro said during the live event, explaining that he will not have surgery.
“I can’t wait to get back to work, see friends and really rock Brazil,” he added.