|Lieu: All England Club Appointment: June 28-July 11|
|Blanket: Live on BBC TV, radio and online with extensive coverage on BBC iPlayer, Red Button, Smart TVs and the mobile app. All the details here|
Andy Murray says he has to assess “whether all the hard work is worth it” after an encouraging run at Wimbledon was interrupted by Canada’s Denis Shapovalov.
The 34-year-old Briton, who is only playing his second tournament in three months after a groin injury, said it was “positive” to come out unscathed.
“The downside is that I feel like I can do better in tennis, play better and finish matches,” he said.
“I need time on the match field and on the training ground. I had neither. “
After losing in straight sets to 10th seed Shapovalov in the third round, Murray said he was disappointed not to reach a higher level.
“There’s a part of me that feels like I’ve worked so hard over the last three months and ultimately didn’t play the way I wanted and expected, and it’s like was it worth it? ” he said.
“Unless my team and I can find a way to keep myself on the pitch for a consistent period of time and allow myself to train the way I need to compete with these guys, the talks on what I will do next will take place. .
“I don’t expect and say that I will beat Denis. He’s a brilliant player. But I feel like I can do a lot better than tonight.
“I hope that if I can stay on the court regularly for two, three, four months, my tennis will come back to a high level. “
After hip surgery in January 2019 which he said would end his career, Murray fought again in court and even won a title in Antwerp later in the year.
However, his progress since has been hampered by injuries to his pelvis and groin, while he was also excluded from the Australian Open earlier this year after testing positive for the coronavirus.
“I feel like I’ve tried a lot in the last two years since having the operation and I’ve never been able to get so much momentum,” said the Scotsman.
“To be able to compete with guys at Denis’s level, my game has to be perfect. “
In his first two matches, Murray beat Georgian 24th seed Nikoloz Basilashvili after surviving a swing and hit back to beat German qualifier Oscar Otte in a spectacular five sets.
“This week has been very good in some ways, but frustrating too,” added the 2013 and 2016 Wimbledon champion.
“I played two long games and it’s really a lot longer than anything I’ve played in the last six months.
“I feel like I put a lot of work into it and losing against him is difficult. If I have to put in that much effort, I want to be a lot better.
“I went through a week of a Slam without getting injured, so it’s positive. There were times of great tennis mixed with really bad times. “
BBC tennis correspondent Russell Fuller
Murray has every right to consider The Championships a success, given the groin injury that hampered his preparations.
But that was not how he saw it in the aftermath of the loss as he wondered what appetite he will have for the sport if an injury continues to rob him of the time he needs on the pitch.
It was a noticeable change in tone from a man who has been talking about his urge to play for some time yet, even if logic is inescapable.
Murray’s groin problem is persistent. He remains in discomfort four months later, has had to limit his training sessions and has only been able to complete two tournaments during that time.
Wimbledon provided a tantalizing glimpse of Murray’s competitiveness, miraculously, after double hip surgery.
But for this to become a reality, it will take a few months without further interruptions. And that’s not something her body has allowed her since late 2016.