Emergency services are on their way to the supermarket following reports of chemical smoke in the premises.
Witnesses reported hearing the noise, with one saying they believed the air conditioning had exploded, releasing “poison gas” inside the store.
The buyers were evacuated shortly before 11 a.m.
It is believed that no one was under the alley where it exploded.
The affected branch is the Newmarket Road hypermarket in Cambridge.
Tesco staff have cordoned off the parking lot and are not letting people in.
Did you see what happened? Send an e-mail to [email protected]
Staff have gathered outside the car park, according to Cambridgeshire Live.
There are no reports of injuries and the Eastern England Ambulance Service has confirmed they were not called to the scene.
We’ll bring you the very latest updates, photos and videos on this breaking news.
Please check back regularly for updates on this developing story HERE . Receive email updates on the biggest stories of the day straight to your inbox by subscribe to our newsletters .
Get all the headlines, photos, analysis, opinions and videos on the stories you care about by following The Mirror whenever you see our name.
- Follow the mirror on Google News – CLICK HERE and click on the star
- Follow the mirror on Apple News – CLICK HERE available on Apple devices
- Follow the mirror on Flipboard – CLICK HERE and click on follow
Stay on top of your must-see news, features, videos and photos throughout the day by following us on Facebook at facebook.com/dailymirror
See all of our social accounts that you can follow here: mirror.co.uk/social