The very dangerous tendency, which doctors say can cause seizures and death, encourages individuals to film themselves holding their breath or choking until they pass out.
Police were called to an apartment complex in the state on Monday where the boy, who has not been named, was reportedly found with ligature marks on his neck.
Detectives were told by family members that the incident was not a suicide attempt, but a “blackout challenge,” according to local media.
The boy was taken to the University of Oklahoma Children’s Hospital for treatment, but died shortly before 7 a.m. on Tuesday, police said.
In a statement, Bethany Police sent condolences to the family and confirmed that their investigation into the death is ongoing.
“We would like to warn parents to stay involved with their children and take the time to watch what they are doing on social media. Now more than ever because of lockdowns, children are bored and looking to occupy their time.
“Social media is a very influential part of a child’s life and should be closely watched by parents,” said Lt. Angelo Orefice.
Unfortunately, this is not the first time that a young person has lost their life after taking up the challenge.
In January, a 10-year-old Italian girl was declared brain dead after taking on the challenge. She arrived at the hospital in cardiac arrest, with ANSA reporting that the parents have given their consent for organ donation of their child.
Another 12-year-old boy was left brain dead in March when he took part in the challenge, with his family turning off life support in April.
The family of Joshua Haileyesus, Colorado, wrote on a GoFundMe page: “We would like to let everyone know that tonight, after fighting the good fight in ICU for 19 days, Joshua has left to be with the Lord. “
Last month, the trend reportedly claimed the life of a Massachusetts teenager named student Nate Squires.
“On June 12, Nate was found at home unconscious after attempting to do what’s known on social media platforms to be the ‘blackout challenge,’ relative Samantha Thomas wrote on a GoFundMe page.
She added that her parents Rachel and Dave “want the world to know the circumstances surrounding Nate’s death to make sure it doesn’t happen to another family.”
In a statement released after Haileyesus’ death, TikTok said they had “no higher priority than protecting the safety” of their users.
“Content that promotes or glorifies unsafe behavior is strictly prohibited and promptly removed to prevent it becoming a trend on our platform,” they said.