Here’s the problem: We all make mistakes. Whether it’s spilling coffee on a new white shirt or accidentally stopping the car in front of you, life is filled with moments we wish we could resume. For most of us, these moments are confined to a small handful of onlookers. But for this Tour de France fan, her enthusiasm and bulky cardboard sign managed to derail the most famous cycling race in the world.
In the video above, you can see the domino effect of this woman’s sign, which led to a stack of several bikes at the start of the race. The woman, dressed in a yellow coat, can be seen holding a sign with “granny and grandfather” written in German. French police are currently trying to identify the woman, whom she plans to charge with “deliberately breaking safety rules and causing injuries that could prevent someone from working for up to three months.”
Tour de France deputy director Pierre-Yves Thouault said the tour would take legal action against the woman, saying: “We are pursuing this woman who behaved so badly. We are doing this so that the tiny minority of people who do this don’t ruin the show for everyone, ”he told AFP news agency.
⚠ We are happy to have public by the side of the road on the #TDF2021.
But for the Tour to be a success, respect the safety of the runners!
Don’t risk everything for a photo or to be on television! pic.twitter.com/v8mat4UOtH
– Tour de France ™ (@LeTour) June 27, 2021
Many on social media laugh at the woman for ruining the race with just one piece of cardboard:
Guys, I’m sorry I ruined the Tour de France.
Will they let me bring my “free hugs” sign to NASCAR I guess that’s what I’m asking
– Gail Simone (@GailSimone) June 27, 2021
Appoint a smaller role with a bigger impact? #Tour de France
– monica (@ monicas004) June 27, 2021
the tour de France thing is so funny. like imagine if a drunk guy tries to take a selfie and somehow it messes up the whole Superbowl
– I bless the rains in castamere (@Chinchillazllla) June 27, 2021
I want you to remember: no matter how much shit you care about, you didn’t screw up “literally destroying the Tour de France with a cardboard sign”. https://t.co/r2jH06kror
– Abe Goldfarb (@AbeGoldfarb) June 26, 2021
– Chris McPhail (@ChrisMcPhaiI) June 27, 2021
– Tim Yoko (@Allenfire) June 27, 2021
Authorities are still looking for the woman, who is likely dyeing her hair, changing her name and traveling the world to start a new life. But look on the bright side, ma’am: you may have ruined the Tour de France, but you’ve created a meme that we’ll enjoy for years to come!
(via BBC, image: screenshot)
- Jonathan Majors on Lovecraft Country and those Superman rumors. (via AV Club)
- Andrew Garfield to star in true Mormon crime series Under the banner of heaven. (via / Film)
- These guys made a Captain America shield that flies AND bounces!
- The events of Loki to connect to Thor: Love and Thunder? (via CBR)
- Does quantum physics determine bird migration patterns? (via Nerdist)
- RIP River, the inspiration / very good boy behind Fallout 4‘s Dogmeat. (via Kotaku)
- I still enjoy this TBH meme:
This one wins pic.twitter.com/ybTY417stw
-Hana Wu (@heyhanawu) June 26, 2021
Hope you have a good Sunday, Sue Believers!
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comments policy that prohibits, but is not limited to, personal insults towards nobody, hate speech and trolling.—
One tip we should know? [email protected]