The Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff on Thursday held a meeting with senior military officials and told them to prepare for further fighting with Hamas as tensions have remained high since a ceasefire. -fire ended a conflict last month.
The IDF took to Twitter to announce the second night of airstrikes in response to incendiary balloons launched from Gaza. The military said it hit military compounds and a rocket launch site belonging to Hamas.
Lt.-Gen. Aviv Kohavi, who is due to travel to Washington this weekend, held the briefing with senior military officials and warned them to prepare for a fight, the Jerusalem Post reported.
The military said fighter jets struck “military complexes and a rocket launch site” Thursday evening in response to the balloons. He said his forces were preparing for a “variety of scenarios, including a resumption of hostilities.”
NETANYAHU GOES “EARTH BURNING” DURING THE EXIT
Prime Minister Naftali Bennett’s coalition government, just three days after taking office, responded to an incendiary balloon attack by Hamas earlier this week by launching airstrikes in the Gaza Strip.
Bennett, the right-wing leader who was once the chief of staff to former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, said he would approach balloon attacks with the same seriousness as if they were rockets.
The Associated Press contributed to this report