OJ Simpson continues to fight in Vegas against Goldman judgments – .

0
8
OJ Simpson continues to fight in Vegas against Goldman judgments – .


OJ Simpson will continue to fight recent Nevada court orders that he owes at least $ 60 million in judgments resulting from the 1994 murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and his friend Ron Goldman, his lawyer said on Friday. .

Attorney Malcolm LaVergne has said he intends to ask the Nevada Supreme Court to overturn a judge’s order to pay the slain man’s father, Fred Goldman, and the order to ‘another judge in favor of Paul Dorsey, a Connecticut man with the right to recover Ron’s wrongful death claim. Goldman’s mother, Sharon Rufo.

“I will appeal both,” said LaVergne, “and there will be more motions at the trial level. “

The story continues under the ad

The flurry of court activity represents another turning point in a more than two-decade struggle by Ron Goldman’s parents to raise some $ 33.5 million that a California civil jury ordered Simpson to pay in 1997, two years after being acquitted of the double murder in what happened. be known as “The Trial of the Century”.

New court cases followed a March 31 settlement of Simpson’s 2019 lawsuit against The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, a hotel and casino where he alleged he was vilified by anonymous employees telling a news site about the celebrities that he was banned from the property in November 2017 for being drunk and disruptive.

LaVergne refuses to say if the money changed hands in the settlement.

“They cannot prove that there is a product of the settlement,” he said Friday, promising to plead “to the end”.

In court records, lawyers for The Cosmopolitan point to a confidentiality clause in the deal and say the resort “did not give Mr. Simpson any money or property in accordance with the settlement.”

The cosmopolitan has previously argued that Simpson cannot be defamed because his reputation was already tarnished by his criminal and civil trials in the deaths of his ex-wife and friend, and by his conviction and imprisonment in Nevada in a case armed robbery in 2007.

Simpson was convicted in Las Vegas in 2008, but has always maintained that he and five men confronted by two souvenir dealers in a casino hotel room were simply trying to recover personal memorabilia that was stolen from him after his acquittal in 1995. in Los Angeles. Two of the men had guns.

The story continues under the ad

Lawyer Craig Newman, representing Dorsey, pointed out Friday that a June 7 court order kept Simpson on the hook for at least $ 4.6 million. But Newman acknowledged that there may be more legal fights – including over whether Simpson actually received money from The Cosmopolitan.

Attorney Larson Welsh, representing Goldman, was out of the office on Friday and did not immediately respond to emails regarding a June 3 ruling in favor of Fred Goldman.

The slain man’s father has hunted down Simpson for years and maintains that Simpson never willingly paid the judgment. Nevada court records show Goldman’s claim amount is now $ 58 million.

Simpson, 74, lives in a closed golf course community in Las Vegas. He remains on parole after his release from prison in July 2017 after serving nine years for armed robbery, kidnapping and assault with a weapon.

The NFL Hall of Fame, former sports commentator, film actor and commercial pitchman declined to discuss his finances other than saying he lives on pensions.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update bulletins are written by the editors of The Globe, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. register today.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here