LANSING, Mich. – Michigan health officials issued 12 safety recommendations to protect students and teachers COVID-19[feminine[feminine when learning in person in schools.
State lifted its COVID restrictions on Tuesday, but the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services still recommends certain safety guidelines in school buildings.
Children under 12 are not eligible to receive a COVID vaccine, and that was only approved for ages 12-16 last month. As a result, the MDHHS made some recommendations to help schools tackle the spread of the virus.
“I am pleased with the progress of our vaccination efforts in Michigan, with 56% of Michiganders aged 12 and over having received at least their first dose of the safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine,” said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, medical director. and Deputy Chief Health Officer at MDHHS. “These vaccines are the reason transmission of the virus in Michigan is at its lowest for a year. However, as the school environment brings together large groups of individuals who may not yet be vaccinated, the MDHHS is issuing these tips to help protect Michiganders of all ages. “
The MDHHS has released 12 strategies developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, saying the more these schools adopt, the safer everyone will be.
Here are the recommendations:
- Promote vaccinations for eligible staff and students.
- Practice social distancing.
- Divide students into groups to reduce potential exposures and the size of possible outbreaks.
- Encourage students and staff to stay home if they feel sick or have COVID-like symptoms.
- Encourage students and staff to get tested for COVID if they show symptoms or are not fully immunized and are close contact with someone with COVID.
- Perform a COVID screening.
- Implement contact tracing and quarantine protocols, in collaboration with local health services.
- Promote hand washing and good mouth coverage for coughs and sneezes.
- Clean regularly to help maintain healthy facilities.
- Avoid crowded or poorly ventilated indoor activities.
- Take part in outdoor activities when possible.
Copyright 2021 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.