Donations are pouring in to help an orphaned boy in London, Ontario. attack – –

0
9
Donations are pouring in to help an orphaned boy in London, Ontario. attack – –


TORONTO – Donations are pouring in from around the world to honor a London, Ontario. family and support their surviving son, who was the victim of a religiously motivated attack earlier this week.

On Sunday evening, Salman Afzaal, 46, his wife Madiha, 44, their 15-year-old daughter Yumnah and the mother of Salman, 74, were killed as they walked around northwest London in what police described it as a targeted attack. because of their Muslim faith.

Fayez Afzaal, the family’s nine-year-old son, survived the attack but was seriously injured.

Sana Yasir, described as a “very close family friend” of the victims for the past 12 years, launched the GoFundMe campaign three days ago and raised $ 744,470 on Thursday night.

“It’s crazy to me how many people have donated and these are people from all over the world of different races and religions who all donate,” she told CTV News.

Meanwhile, a second campaign on the LaunchGood fundraising website raised $ 1,091,031 Thursday night.

Both campaigns received the support and consent of the families of the victims and the Muslim community in London, according to their descriptions.

Yasir added that people who donate to his campaign have regularly contacted to ask questions about the condition of Fayez, who is now in stable condition.

“It’s very, very relieving to see how many people are standing by our side right now and showing their love and support,” she said.

According to the GoFundMe page, the immediate family indicated that they did not need money to cover funeral costs, the donations will instead help Fayez in the future and for sadaqa jariya, an Islamic concept of charitable giving which people benefit long after the person donating has died, according to Islamic Relief Worldwide.

GoFundMe also says immediate family members will announce the donation destination when the decision is made.

The murder suspect, identified as 20-year-old Nathaniel Veltman, has been charged with four counts of first degree murder and one count of attempted murder for his alleged involvement in the crimes.

He appeared briefly in court in London on Thursday and is expected to return to court on June 14.

Veltman’s mother, Alysia Bisset, released a statement Thursday, calling her son’s alleged actions a “heinous crime”.

“I pray for the victims and their family members and my most sincere prayers will continue for all those affected by this tragedy,” she said. “Due to the ongoing investigation and ongoing proceedings, no further comments will be made. ”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here