Webb Simpson Says PGL Still Looks ‘Far-Fetched’ Despite $ 30 Million Bids Report – fr

0
9
Webb Simpson Says PGL Still Looks ‘Far-Fetched’ Despite $ 30 Million Bids Report – fr


CHARLOTTE, NC – The Premier Golf League is back on the golf radar, but it remains to be seen whether the start-up circuit can gain enough traction to woo the best players in the game.

Saudi-led plan to create a separatist ’round the world’ has made multi-million dollar contract offers to some of the world’s best players with the promise of ‘astronomical’ prices, according to a report by Telegraph Sport .

The report states that world No.1 Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Justin Rose and Phil Mickelson have been offered more than $ 30 million in contracts to join the league, which will follow a similar pattern to Formula 1 racing with four-man teams and a limited international schedule.

BY Rex Hoggard


PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan met with the players on Tuesday and was firm in his message regarding a rival tour.

According to the Telegraph Sport report, the circuit hopes to start playing in September 2022, although it remains to be seen how many players will be drawn from the PGA Tour. Last year, Rory McIlroy was the most outspoken star against PGL, telling reporters he “wanted to be on the right side of history.” On Tuesday at the Wells Fargo Championship, Webb Simpson offered a similar criticism.


Wells Fargo Championship: open field tee times | Full coverage


“From the start, it seemed like something that seemed quite far-fetched to happen,” Simpson said. “I love the PGA Tour. It has given me an incredible opportunity over the past 12 years of my life. I find it hard to believe that this is really going to happen and that the guys are really going to jump ship and take a whole different way of golfing than we’ve always had.

Simpson went on to explain that he was not sure if his manager had been approached by the PGL but added: “ [my manager] knows where I am. “

A report late last month in Golfweek revealed that the Tour had launched a ‘player impact program’ that would inspire its stars to be more active on social media and engage with fans via a pool. bonus of $ 40 million. Many saw this plan as a direct response to PGL’s proposal.

Tour commissioner Jay Monahan is scheduled to meet with the players on Tuesday at Quail Hollow Club, where PGL is sure to be a main topic. Monahan has already informed players that they will lose their Tour membership if they join the PGL and given the Tour’s strategic alliance with the European Tour, it is likely that those on the continent would face a similar decision.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here