Trudeau pushes back border closures after Progressive Conservative Ontario ad – fr

0
23
Trudeau pushes back border closures after Progressive Conservative Ontario ad – fr


TORONTO – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Friday pushed back Ontario’s ongoing calls for tighter travel restrictions, saying finger pointing won’t help Ontarians as province grapples with third wave of COVID -19.

Trudeau made the comment in response to an announcement released Thursday by the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario, accusing him of failing to properly restrict travel in the province.

The premier said Ottawa was willing to work with Ontario to further limit the number of people allowed to enter the province, but noted he had not heard from Premier Doug Ford on the issue since. that the province called for tighter controls at land borders last week.

Read more:

Federal government “happy to work” with Ontario after asking to stop international students

“If the Ontario government wants to do more to limit the number of people coming to Ontario, we are more than happy to work with them on this,” he said at a press conference Friday.

The story continues under the ad

“But you know, it’s been a week since we received this request directly from the Prime Minister, that they didn’t follow up except with personal attacks, which doesn’t make sense and won’t help.” frankly not Ontarians.

Trudeau said he had offered to impose stricter limits on temporary foreign workers and agricultural workers, compassionate exceptions and international students, noting that Ontario had approved the arrival of 30,000 international students during the year. last month.

A Ford spokesman said the province had been “clear” that more action was needed from the federal government to prevent worrying variants from entering the country.

“The COVID-19 variants that are behind our third wave are a direct result of weak measures at our borders, which is why we have called on the federal government to take a number of additional measures to address this situation, including the ban on essential travel, implementation of mandatory PCR tests for interprovincial travelers and closure of the breach at our land border with a three-day hotel quarantine, ”said Alexandra Adamo in an email.

“We have not made an official request to ban international students, but we look forward to the federal government providing solutions to reduce the importation of cases and the introduction of variants into Canada.

READ MORE: Ford “desperate” to Trudeau at the meeting of the first ministers: close the borders

The story continues under the ad

Last week, the Ontario government formally called on Ottawa to impose rules on interprovincial air travelers similar to those applied to passengers coming from abroad and to require a hotel quarantine for travelers. arriving in Canada at land crossings.

At the time, Ottawa said it would not add the requirement for quarantine in hotels at crossings, but noted that provinces could impose their own measures at land borders if they so choose.

Also on Friday, the Ontario government said it was working with Ottawa to provide free rapid COVID-19 antigen testing to employees of small and medium-sized businesses as part of a program to screen for asymptomatic cases.

The province said the tests will be distributed by participating local chambers of commerce and other organizations, with more than 760,000 already shipped to 28 chambers of commerce. More than 50 other people have also expressed interest in the program, he said.


Click to play video: 'Ford calls for mandatory quarantine for travelers at US border, stricter air measures'







Ford calls for mandatory quarantine for travelers at US border and stricter air measures


Ford calls for mandatory quarantine for travelers at US border and stricter air measures – April 30, 2021

Meanwhile, Ontario reported 3,166 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday and 23 more deaths related to the virus. The health ministry said due to a technical issue with the lab data, the number of cases may be underreported.

The story continues under the ad

Health Minister Christine Elliott said there were 876 new cases in Toronto, 817 in Peel Region and 300 in York Region.

Data is based on over 51,300 completed tests.

The province said 1,924 people are hospitalized with the novel coronavirus, including 858 in intensive care and 611 on a ventilator.

Ontario has reported that 144,724 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine have been administered since Thursday’s report, for a total of 5.8 million doses.

Show link »


© 2021 The Canadian Press



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here