He puts the overall total at 15,741.
28 people are being treated for the virus at a local hospital – 23 are in intensive cases.
The number of active cases fell to 381.
287,544 doses of the COVID vaccine were administered to residents of the Waterloo region (57.19%) – 18,657 local residents (18 years and older) were fully immunized (4.01%).
Here are some other region dashboard updates:
- 3,084 cases tested positive for the variants of concern – 2,729 are the UK strain – five are linked to the variant first detected in South Africa – four are linked to the strain first found in India – 26 are linked to the strain first found in Brazil – 320 cases where a mutation was detected
- The local death toll remains at 256. No new deaths were reported on Wednesday.
- 15,088 cases resolved (96%)
- More than 490,000 tests have been carried out
There are currently seven active outbreaks in the region. Five are in the workplace:
- NEW Health services 2 (four cases)
- Gathering setting 41 (one case)
- Farm 2 (five cases)
- Food and Beverage Services 17 (six cases)
- Forest Heights Long Term Care – Hewson Unit (two cases in residents, four in staff)
- Detail 9 (six cases)
- Manufacturing / industrial 17 (28 cases)
In the meantime, the province reported 1,095 cases on Wednesday.
Other provincial COVID-19 totals are shown below:
- 569,317 vaccinations were performed – 8.38 million doses were administered
- 526,045 cases in total
- 499,640 cases resolved
- 1073 people are hospitalized – 672 are in intensive care – 469 are on a ventilator
- 8,678 deaths (23 new)
- 24,008 tests completed Tuesday – 15.06 million since January 15, 2020