Several provinces are preparing to tighten public health measures again as COVID-19 infection rates remain stubbornly high in parts of Canada.
Starting at midnight, bars and restaurants in Alberta are to close their patios for in-person dining, and personal wellness services such as barbers and tattoo parlors are to close as the last group of rules announced last week by Premier Jason Kenney go into effect.
Manitoba has also banned in-person restaurants, closed churches and some businesses, and reduced retail store capacity to 10% effective today after a recent increase in cases.
The Quebec government is tightening measures in the Estrie region east of Montreal as of Monday, even as it prepares to lift emergency lockdown measures in the greater Quebec City area and in certain parts of the Outaouais.
Canada’s Director of Public Health Theresa Tam said on Twitter that infection rates remain high in many parts of the country and urges people to maintain public health measures even if they have been vaccinated.
Manitoba orders Winnipeg and Brandon schools to go online on Wednesday
Schools in Winnipeg and Brandon, Manitoba are ordered to transfer courses online from Wednesday to May 30.
Education Minister Cliff Cullen announced the measure in Winnipeg on Sunday.
He says this was prompted by the increased spread of COVID-19 in the province which is infecting more young people and sending more patients to intensive care units.
Coronavirus tracker: How many cases of COVID-19 are there in Canada and around the world? The latest maps and graphics
Dr Brent Roussin, the province’s top doctor, also announced new measures to take effect in other areas, including relocating schools with several cases online and canceling extracurricular activities.
New restrictions on businesses, religious services and organized sports and other services also came into effect on Sunday in an attempt to reduce the spread.
Politicians and opposition advocates have called for schools to be closed in light of the increase in the number of cases.
Ontario Reports 3,216 New COVID-19 Cases and 47 Deaths as Hospitalizations Decline
Ontario reported 3,216 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday.
The province is also reporting 47 additional deaths linked to the virus.
Provincial figures show 1,640 patients were hospitalized for COVID-19, including 848 in intensive care on Sunday morning.
Among those hospitalized, 580 people were on ventilators.
Latest figures are based on 38,540 completed tests.
The province says 121,075 doses of COVID-19 vaccine were administered on Saturday for a total of 6,144,685 doses.
Quebec reports 960 new cases of COVID-19, six deaths as hospitalizations decline slightly
Quebec is reporting 960 new cases of COVID-19 and six additional pandemic-related deaths, including one in the past 24 hours.
Hospitalizations fell for a fifth consecutive day, from eight to 539, while the number of people in intensive care fell from six to 124.
The province administered 74,694 doses of the vaccine on Saturday and has currently administered at least one vaccine to nearly 42% of the population.
The latest update comes as the Quebec City area and parts of the Outaouais prepare to reopen high schools and non-essential stores on Monday.
The Quebec government announced last week that it would lift special lockdowns in those areas of the province, which include postponing the nighttime curfew from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
However, the province said on Saturday that the Estrie region east of Montreal would see its alert level drop from orange to red on Monday, which would lead to tighter restrictions after the number of cases surged. last week.
Subscribe to Coronavirus Information Bulletin to read today’s essential coronavirus news, features and explanations from the Globe’s journalists and editors.