Although no direct fighting was reported between the Taliban and government forces as they observed the temporary ceasefire, bombs on the roads continued to claim civilian lives.
A roadside bomb hit a car in Panjwai district in southern Kandahar province, killing five civilians, including a woman and children, said Jamal Naser Barekzai, spokesman for the provincial police.
In another incident, two children were killed and three adults injured when a roadside bomb exploded under a taxi in Maiwand district of the same province, Barekzai added.
In northern Kunduz province, a sticky bomb attached to a civilian car exploded, killing two civilians and injuring 10 others, said Enhamuddin Rahmani, spokesman for the provincial police chief.
Two civilians were also killed by a roadside bomb in central Ghazni province, officials said.
Afghanistan TOLO News quoted a Kunduz resident as saying, “Security forces arrived in the area 40 minutes after the incident, while the Kunduz police headquarters is only 100 meters from the area. ‘incident.”
“A Muslim never oppresses another Muslim in this way. We raise our children in poverty and in miserable conditions, but they very easily become victims. If they (the perpetrators) are Muslims, they should never commit such an atrocity against children, ”another resident of Kunduz province told TOLO News.
The three-day ceasefire announced by the Taliban and respected by the government comes at a time of sharply escalating violence across Afghanistan following Washington’s announcement last month of its intention to withdraw all American troops by September 11.
Afghan security forces on Wednesday organized an operation to retake a Taliban-held district outside the capital, Kabul, in neighboring Wardak province, but were cut off to observe the ceasefire.
A day earlier, Taliban fighters killed or captured government soldiers and forced others to retreat after storming Nerkh district, less than an hour’s drive from Kabul.