AAnother child was targeted in an attempted kidnapping by a hooded man just 500 meters from a failed child that same afternoon, a director revealed.
A schoolboy from Clare House Primary School in Beckenham was asked to accompany a hooded man wearing a mask as he played in a wooded area of Kelsey Park at 4:30 p.m. Friday, it was revealed in a letter addressed to parents by The Standard.
The man fled when the boy yelled at a close friend.
The boy was unharmed and later saw the masked man escape in a black van after telling his mother what had happened.
Clare House manager Ms Jane Holland has written to her parents to provide details of the latest kidnapping attempt.
She wrote: “I want to inform you that it was reported that a similar incident happened to one of our children in Kelsey Park on Friday around 4:30 pm.
“The child and classmates were playing in the wooded area of the park when a man approached the child and told him to accompany him. He fled immediately but the man followed him for a short time until the child called one of his friends and the man ran away.
The principal said the child’s parents were nearby and listened to the boy.
She added: “The child reported that he saw a black van pass by and the man was in it. He was reportedly dressed in black with a hood up and a mask.
The director said the kidnapping attempt was reported to the police and Years 5 and 6 would hold a meeting on the matter.
The Metropolitan Police could not immediately say whether the two incidents are linked. They have been contacted for further comments.
The young man was walking home from school when the terrifying ordeal unfolded.
However, Ms Blackman said that after she brought her son home, officers attempted to “cloud” her version of events.
A spokesperson said the boy was not physically injured but was left “very shaken” by the incident which would be “fully investigated”.
Superintendent Brittain added: “CCTV in the area is currently being reviewed to identify possible suspects. Detectives have been in contact with the boy’s parents to update them on the investigation so far and will continue to keep them informed of any developments.
“I want to reassure the boy’s parents and the wider community that this incident is being fully investigated to establish all the circumstances of what happened.”
He added: “I also invite all who witnessed this incident to come forward and speak to the police, especially the two men playing tennis that the victim approached for help.”
One of the men is described as white, standing around 5 feet 10 inches tall, while the second is 6 feet tall.
No arrests have been made and investigations are continuing.