Ontario on Sunday became the last province to open vaccine appointments for children 12 and older through the province’s reservation system.
Those who wish to book can do so through the provincial online portal or call center, as well as through pharmacies offering the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, the province said.
While some young people had previously been able to get a vaccine through pop-up clinics or initiatives led by regional public health units, Sunday’s news meant that all Ontarians eligible for vaccines can now register through the provincial system. .
In Quebec, there were long lines outside a walk-in vaccination center in Montreal that opened to the 12 to 17 age group over the weekend.
The province will officially open its reservation system to young people aged 12 and over on Tuesday, but a spokesperson for the local health authority said officials at the clinic west of the city center had decided not to refuse. adolescents who showed up for walk-in visits.
At 2 p.m., the clinic reported that there were no more doses available for the day, although it had ordered an additional 500 to meet demand.
The efforts to target young residents came against the background of the general acceleration of the national vaccination campaign.
Canada’s chief public health officer wrote on Twitter on Sunday that more than 2.5 million Canadians received a dose of a COVID-19 vaccine between May 9 and May 15. More than 19 million Canadians, or half of the national population, had received at least a first dose of the vaccine as of Saturday, although less than five percent were fully immunized with two injections.
Several other provinces have already expanded vaccine eligibility to those 12 years of age and older, including Newfoundland and Labrador, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Alberta.
Nationally, new cases of COVID-19 continued to evolve below the peaks of the third wave reported in mid-April, although the number of cases remained high in several provinces.
Manitoba has reported 461 new COVID-19 infections and one additional death, with the five-day positivity test rate remaining high at 14.5% provincially and 16.7% in Winnipeg.
Newfoundland and Labrador has reported 23 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, up sharply from the four reported a day earlier. The province is currently struggling with a cluster in the central health region.
Provincial public health authorities have advised against non-essential travel in and out of the part of the province between Lewisporte and Summerford in order to limit the spread.
Nova Scotia reported 74 new cases along with its 78th and 79th deaths from the pandemic during what Premier Iain Rankin called a “tragic weekend” for the province.
“The hearts of all Nova Scotians are with the families and friends who mourn the loss of loved ones,” he said in a statement.
“Please make decisions this weekend that will help stop the spread of this virus so that we can prevent more Nova Scotians from having to experience such heartache.”
The province’s chief medical officer of health said Nova Scotia had reported five deaths in the past three days – a statistic that strikes hard in the small, tight-knit province.
The situation looks more encouraging in Ontario and Quebec, where cases are slowly declining from the peaks of the third wave.
Ontario has reported just under 1,700 new cases, while Quebec has fallen below 500 for the first time since last September.
The Canadian Press
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Corona virus vaccines