Ontario’s home stay order likely to be extended until June to avoid fourth wave COVID-19 – fr

0
19
Ontario’s home stay order likely to be extended until June to avoid fourth wave COVID-19 – fr


TORONTO – Ontario advised to ‘stay the course’ with province’s pandemic restrictions until COVID-19 cases drop significantly, which could see stay-at-home order extended until June.

Health Minister Christine Elliott said the drop from the peak of the third wave in April was not enough to roll back restrictive measures and said the province was looking for a “significant enough drop” in the number of cases and intensive care admissions before lifting the order.

“The medical experts have been very clear that we need to stay the course now,” Elliott told reporters Monday at Queen’s Park.

The advice from provincial health advisers is consistent with that of local medical officers of health, who sent a letter to Premier Doug Ford on Friday asking for an extension of emergency measures to curb the spread of COVID-19 variants.

“It is clear that public health measures aimed at reducing mobility and people-to-people contact are by far the most important tool we currently have to prevent the transmission of COVID-19,” the Association said in its letter. local public health agencies.

“Any move to ease restrictions now would undoubtedly reverse the modest downward trends we’ve seen over the past two weeks.

The letter, which was also signed by the Ontario Council of Medical Officers of Health, pointed out that new daily case counts, test positivity rates and intensive care patients remain much higher than at peak. the second wave and noted that the situation is not expected to change before current orders expire.

If the home order, which is due to expire on May 20, is extended by two weeks, it will last until June 2.

Although Elliott did not provide specific thresholds to initiate an economic reopening, she said the government is “actively considering” how and when the province will emerge from the Third Wave restrictions.

“It’s really a matter of time and how quickly those numbers can go down,” Elliott said. “We’re not at the point where we can release the stay-at-home order, but there will be a plan when the time comes. “

CTV News Toronto contacted the Ford office on Monday to find out when the decision will be made to extend or end the stay-at-home order.

A Ford spokesperson said they “had no details” at this time.

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr David Williams said on Monday he would like to see daily COVID-19 cases drop below 1,000 before restrictions are relaxed.

He said reopening Ontario should be “slow and steady” so businesses don’t have to close again.

“We don’t want a fourth wave,” said Williams. “Slowly and steadily and stay open. This is our goal. “

Last week, Ontario’s deputy chief medical officer of health, Dr. Barbara Yaffe, was asked if she thought the province was ready to ease the restrictions.

She expressed concern that the early reopening could trigger a fourth wave of COVID-19.

“I would be surprised if things opened up at the end of May,” Yaffe said. “They can partially open, (but) certainly we don’t want to open prematurely and end with a fourth wave,” Yaffe said.

“It’s the last thing we need. “

As of Monday, there were currently more than 1,632 people in hospital due to COVID-19, although officials noted that number may be underestimated as not all hospitals submitted their data over the weekend. .

At least 828 of these patients are in intensive care and 547 are breathing using a ventilator.

The number of patients in intensive care exceeded 900 at the height of the third wave.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here