Ontario health officials will provide update on coronavirus vaccine deployment on Friday –

0
8
Ontario health officials will provide update on coronavirus vaccine deployment on Friday – fr


The Ontario government will provide an update on its COVID-19 vaccine deployment plan on Friday.

The first doses of the vaccine are currently available for people 12 and older in Ontario, as vaccine eligibility extended to people ages 12 to 17 on Sunday. A vaccination appointment can be booked on the provincial government’s reservation site.

Friday’s vaccine deployment update is expected to detail second-dose delivery plans, as two vaccine injections that are given in Ontario are required for a full vaccination.

Ontario currently administers injections four months apart, with a few exceptions for people with special health conditions and other groups.

York Region Medical Officer of Health Dr. Karim Kurji told an area council meeting on Thursday that he was told Ontario intended to shorten the intervals for second doses.

Kurji said the government has informed the region that second doses could be given as early as next week for the 80 and over age group, then move to the 70 and over age group.

He said his health unit was working on the logistics of administering second doses to ensure fairness and minimum confusion.

In a vaccine update earlier this month, the province said it was on track to meet its goal of getting the first dose to 65% of adults in Ontario by the end of it. of the month.

Friday’s vaccine update comes as pharmacies rush to administer second doses of AstraZeneca vaccines that will expire on Monday.

People who received an AstraZeneca vaccine between March 10 and March 19 became eligible to make an appointment for a second dose earlier this week.

Ontario Pharmacists Association CEO Justin Bates told CP24 on Thursday that most participating pharmacies in Toronto have yet to receive the vaccines due to a delay caused by an insurance process quality to ensure that vaccines do not spoil when sitting in a refrigerator.

Approximately 31,000 doses will expire after May 31.

Ontario temporarily suspended the use of AstraZeneca earlier this month over concerns about the risk of rare and life-threatening blood clots. Ten days later, however, provincial health officials decided to donate his remaining vaccine stock after studies showed the risk of side effects was low.

To date, more than 8.5 million doses of the vaccine have been administered in the province since mid-December.

As of Wednesday evening, at least 594,854 people had been fully vaccinated against the virus in Ontario.

Premier Doug Ford, along with Health Minister Christine Elliott and Solicitor General Sylvia Jones, will update at 10:30 a.m. and CP24.com will stream it live.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here