Ontario confirms death of first blood clot in man who received AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine –

0
22
Ontario confirms death of first blood clot in man who received AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine – fr


TORONTO – Health officials in Ontario recorded the first death of a person with a rare blood clot who received a dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in April.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr Barbara Yaffe confirmed the news during the province’s bi-monthly update on its response to COVID-19 on Tuesday.

“Unfortunately, I must report that in Ontario our first death is associated with VITT,” said Yaffe.

She said the man in his 40s received his first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine “around the end of April” and died “a few weeks later”.

Yaffe explained that while an investigation into the man’s death is underway and the final cause of death has not yet been officially determined, it has been confirmed that he had VITT at the time of his death.

Earlier this month, Ontario announced that it would no longer offer the first doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine due to an increase in reports of rare, but potentially fatal blood clots.

At that time, Dr. Jessica Hopkins, Chief Health Protection and Emergency Preparedness Officer, said the risk of VITT from the vaccine in Ontario was one in 60,000.

The province said on Friday it would resume use of the vaccine, but only as a second dose, as it rushes to use tens of thousands of vaccines before they expire on May 31.

Yaffe said Ontario has a total of 16 cases of thrombotic thrombocytopenia, of which 13 cases now meet criteria for VITT.

No further details regarding the deceased have been disclosed.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here