Nova Scotia students will not be returning to their classrooms for the remainder of the school year, the province said on Wednesday, announcing 83 new cases of COVID-19 and two more deaths.
Premier Iain Rankin said in a briefing that children and teachers will continue to learn online for the remainder of the school year and that the current lockdown restrictions in the province will last until at least the second week of June.The two deaths announced on Wednesday occurred in central and eastern areas. Both people were in their sixties. There have now been 74 COVID-19 related deaths in Nova Scotia.
The province also reported 164 recoveries on Wednesday, bringing the number of active cases to 1,262.
Of the 83 new cases, 59 are in the central zone, 19 in the east zone, three in the west zone and two in the north zone.
Rankin said the 19 cases in the eastern area are all in the Cape Breton Regional Municipality. Public health has not been able to find the origin of a number of cases, indicating that there is community spread in Sydney.
There are 101 people in the hospital, including 20 in the intensive care units. The median age of people hospitalized in the third wave is 57 years for people not resuscitating and 59 years for people in intensive care.
Nova Scotia Health Authority labs performed 7,324 tests on Tuesday.
Hospitalizations have been steadily increasing since the start of the third wave, but the overall number of active cases has recently started to decline.
Dr. Robert Strang, the province’s chief medical officer of health, noted the downward trend in an interview with CBC on Wednesday. Information morning, but he said the numbers are still “far from” where they need to be to start easing public health restrictions.
He said that one of the conditions for rolling back the restrictions is more vaccination. He would like 75% to be. 100 of all Nova Scotians are vaccinated.
Currently, approximately 40% of eligible Nova Scotians have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. In order to meet the 75% goal, Strang said 85% of those eligible to get the shot will have to do so.
COVID-19 vaccines are now approved for children aged 12 and over.
“I firmly believe that we can achieve this goal, but it’s not just about the vaccine, you also need to look at the epidemiology of the disease,” Strang said. “If our case rates drop significantly over the next few weeks, we don’t need to hit that 75% target to start opening restrictions.
“If we want to be able to have a much less restricted summer, we need to get the disease under control and have high vaccination rates. “
Nova Scotians aged 30 and older can now schedule vaccine appointments, and earlier this week Rankin and Strang said they expected all eligible Nova Scotians to be able to take vaccine appointments. see you next week.
Increased control at New Brunswick borders
As of Wednesday, anyone traveling between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to Sackville-Amherst and Baie-Verte-Tidnish Road could notice an increase in screening, according to a New Brunswick government release.
Travelers entering New Brunswick require approved travel registration and any supporting documentation, although frequent travelers between the two provinces may be eligible for a special pass.
Travel between the two provinces remains limited.
Atlantic Canada Case Numbers
- New Brunswick reported 10 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, and reported its 42nd death. The province now has 121 active cases.
- Newfoundland and Labrador reported six new cases on Tuesday for a total of 83 active cases.
- PEI reported two new cases on Tuesday. The province has 10 active cases.