Nova Scotia Schools May Stay Closed Until Summer: Best Doctor – fr

0
10
Nova Scotia Schools May Stay Closed Until Summer: Best Doctor – fr



Dr Robert Strang says the province has made keeping children in school a priority, but an outbreak that triggered a province-wide lockdown late last month showed no signs of abating .

UPDATE: Public and private schools will remain closed to students and home learning will continue at least until the end of May.
************************

HALIFAX – Nova Scotia’s top doctor has said parents should prepare for the possibility of schools across the province remaining closed until the end of the school year to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr Robert Strang said the province had made keeping children in school a priority, but an outbreak that caused a province-wide lockdown late last month did ‘showed no signs of slowing down.

In an interview with CTV News on Thursday, Strang said the province can expect the number of infections to remain high in the coming days, which is why virtual learning for schoolchildren will continue – as well. than a long list of strict public health rules.

Meanwhile, the government announced on Friday that people aged 45 and older can start scheduling appointments for Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccines at clinics across the province.

Additionally, the province has announced that it will begin contacting positive COVID-19 cases and close contacts via text message, where possible.

“With the increase in the number of cases in Nova Scotia, this approach will allow early notification of positive cases and close contacts so that they can immediately begin to self-isolate to avoid further spread,” officials said. of public health in a press release.

Prime Minister Iain Rankin said he had grown frustrated with residents and visitors who did not take the pandemic seriously, despite the number of active cases rising from 111 two weeks ago to 1,309 on Thursday.

Health officials reported 182 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday – another daily record. They said 45 people were hospitalized with the disease, including nine in intensive care.

Strang said the lockdown had been in effect for just over a week and it took two weeks to see the impact of stricter public health measures.

There have been a number of outbreaks in Atlantic Canada since the start of the pandemic, but the sudden peak in Nova Scotia was the worst in the region so far.

Previous outbreaks, including one in Newfoundland and Labrador that forced the in-person vote to be overturned for a provincial election, have all been brought under control quickly, thanks to strict lockdown rules.

As a result, the Atlantic region has been repeatedly lauded for being a world leader in containing the virus.

Most of the new cases in Nova Scotia have been reported in the Halifax area, but the entire province has been under strict health protocol measures since April 28, including a travel ban outside of the municipality of origin of each resident.

Rankin and Strang are due to provide an update on the COVID-19 situation on Friday afternoon.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on May 7, 2021.

The Canadian Press

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here