Leicester’s director of public health said the government had confirmed that new notices posted on its website regarding Leicester and other regions, suggesting that further restrictions needed to be put in place, were incorrect.
Professor Ivan Browne said people should continue to follow existing national guidelines as before.
He said: “We had an urgent meeting with government officials and other affected local authorities today (Tuesday, May 25), after learning that the government has updated its website to include specific advice. around Leicester and some other areas where the -19 variant has been identified as spreading.
“These officials confirmed that there were no restrictions on movement within or outside any of our regions and it was a mistake to suggest that was the case.
“There is no local lockdown and there is no justification for Leicester to be treated any differently from the rest of the country.
“No one from the Department of Health and Welfare (DHSC) or Public Health England has contacted us about this advice, to explain the reasons behind it or to give any other information.
“As it stands, Leicester has lower variant rates than other parts of the country, and we have a plan in place to increase our vaccination rate, as agreed with the government last week.
“We always suggest that people take a cautious approach and make reasonable judgments when restrictions are relaxed as part of the government’s roadmap, and that still applies.
“When we are planning a trip or mixing indoors, we all need to follow the necessary precautions, including the ventilation of rooms and vehicles in case of car sharing; wear a face mask in public transport; and following the rule of two households or six people if you are meeting indoors. “
Details of the current Covid-19 recommendations for Leicester can be found here.