Montreal and Laval will remain red until June 7 but the curfew is lifted on Friday –

0
17
Montreal and Laval will remain red until June 7 but the curfew is lifted on Friday – fr


“The numbers are good, the trend is good,” Prime Minister François Legault said on Tuesday, announcing that the plan he tabled last week to ease COVID-19 restrictions will go ahead as planned.

Content of the article

QUEBEC – The regions of Montreal and Laval will remain in the red category until at least June 7, while Quebec plays the safety card by relaxing restrictions on COVID-19.

But as planned, the curfew will be repealed throughout Quebec on Friday, May 28, restaurant terraces will be able to reopen and groups of eight people will be able to meet in backyards.

Prime Minister François Legault made the announcements at a press conference on the pandemic in the legislature on Tuesday, confirming that the roadmap he outlined last week on easing restrictions will go as planned as the COVID-19 situation is improving almost everywhere.

“The numbers are good, the trend is good,” said Legault. “We are seeing a drop in cases, a drop in the number of hospitalizations.”

He said the vaccination rate is a key factor that allows Quebec to ease restrictions. He noted that Quebec is now the first in Canada in terms of the number of first doses administered.

“Quebeckers have answered the call – Quebeckers of all ages,” said Legault.

Publicity

This ad is not yet loaded, but your article continues below.

Content of the article

But the residents of Montreal and Laval will have to wait a little longer before life returns to a certain normality. Legault said after discussions with public health, the decision was made to keep the two areas red until June 7.

“For Montreal and Laval, we prefer to be careful and leave these two red regions for an additional week,” he said.

Quebec reported 346 new cases and six other deaths linked to COVID-19 on Tuesday. Quebec has reported fewer than 500 new cases for three consecutive days.

Broken down further, Montreal reported 114 new cases and two deaths.

“You have to understand that you don’t just have to reach a certain level (of cases),” said public health director Horacio Arruda, who was sitting next to Legault. “This must be the trend for a while.”

Publicity

This ad is not yet loaded, but your article continues below.

Content of the article

Arruda does not promise that the easing of restrictions will take place on June 7, noting that it takes 14 days of lower numbers to be sure the situation is stable.

“We expect it to be good,” he said. “I won’t give you a 100% guarantee, because life is life.”

The best numbers mean that several regions classified in red will turn orange as of Monday, May 31, as the government announced last week. The list includes Quebec, the Laurentians, Lanaudière, Montérégie and the Outaouais, as well as the Eastern Townships with the exception of the MRC du Granit.

Orange status means that restaurants will be allowed to offer indoor meals. A maximum of two adults of different addresses may sit at the same table and may be accompanied by children under the age of 18.

Publicity

This ad is not yet loaded, but your article continues below.

Content of the article

Secondary 3, 4 and 5 students will be able to return to class full time, gymnasiums will reopen with certain restrictions and places of worship will be able to increase attendance from 25 to 100.

Quebec has also announced that it wants to increase the administration of second doses of the vaccine. Details of how that will happen are due to be announced Thursday, but Health Minister Christian Dubé said the province plans to adjust the Clic Santé website to allow Quebeckers to push up appointments that had already been taken for their second dose.

“Our goal is to move all doses from September before August 31,” Dubé said.

As of Tuesday, more than half of the Quebec population had received a first dose of vaccine.

Publicity

This ad is not yet loaded, but your article continues below.

Content of the article

Asked about the large public gatherings organized in the Montreal and Quebec regions over the long weekend, Legault urged Quebeckers to respect the rules a little longer.

If health measures continue to be observed, he said, “all regions should turn orange on June 7”.

“The instructions to the police have not changed. We always want the rules to be followed. Mostly, we don’t want to see what we saw on the beaches on weekends. “

There was another indication of what to expect after summer. Despite the rumors, Legault said he expects CEGEP and university students to be back in their classrooms next fall without studying remotely.

[email protected]

twitter.com/philipauthier

All our coronavirus news can always be found at montrealgazette.com/tag/coronavirus.

Sign up for our newsletter dedicated to local COVID-19 coverage at montrealgazette.com/coronavirusnews.

Help support our local journalism by subscribing to the Montreal Gazette here.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here