Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister announced the new orders, which will take effect on Saturday, with Chief Public Health Officer Dr Brent Roussin on Thursday.
Manitoba COVID-19 patient dies after attempted transport to Ontario ICU
The announcement means that a ban on social gatherings, indoors and outdoors, which was due to expire on Saturday, will now remain in effect for another two weeks.
The same goes for a rule that requires only one person per household to enter a store or other business.
More intensive care patients displaced out of province
“While the number of cases in Manitoba has improved somewhat over the past few days, our health care system continues to face critical pressures,” said Pallister.
According to a provincial version, complete orders include:
- public gatherings indoors are not permitted and visitors are not permitted on private property except under certain circumstances;
- requirements for employers to allow employees to work from home as much as possible;
- outdoor gatherings with people outside the home are not permitted and this applies to all recreational spaces, including playgrounds, golf courses, parks and sports fields;
- retail businesses can only operate at 10% capacity or 100 customers, whichever is less, and only one person per household will be allowed to start a business, with a few exceptions, such as a single parent with children or someone who needs a caregiver;
- increased requirements for shopping malls to manage capacity and access to eliminate gatherings and ensure compliance with purchasing; and
- many businesses and organizations will remain closed for in-person service, including gyms and fitness clubs, restaurants and bars, personal service businesses, museums, galleries and libraries.
Roussin also said that schools in the cities of Winnipeg and Brandon, as well as the Red River Valley and Garden Valley school divisions that transferred to distance learning earlier this month, will continue to distance until the 7th. June.
Dauphin schools will continue distance learning until June 9, he added.
The new ordinances remain in effect until June 12 and also give Roussin the power to shut down businesses “where there are multiple cases and where transmission is a risk,” the province said.
“The number and ICU hospitalizations in Manitoba are extremely high and are expected to rise further in this third wave,” Roussin said in a statement.
Influencers say thousands have been offered to spread fake news about Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine
Boris Johnson considered injecting COVID-19 on live TV: former adviser
“We should stay home and work from home if possible, and only go out for essentials when absolutely necessary and not meet with anyone outside of your home.
“We recognize that the next few weeks will be tough, but our health care system depends on all Manitobans doing their part.
The news comes as the province continues to see an increase in hospitalization rates linked to COVID-19 and health officials reported 297 new cases and eight more deaths on Thursday.
Manitoba doctors fear PTSD outbreak after COVID-19 survivors leave ICU
To protect intensive care capacity, the province began transporting critically ill COVID-19 patients to Ontario last week to keep intensive care beds open. At least 23 patients have been sent to Ontario since May 18.
Tightened public health orders for the May long weekend that was due to expire on Wednesday had been extended until Saturday earlier this week.
They include a ban on gatherings, indoors or outdoors, except between members of the same household, although there is a small exemption for people who live alone.
The temporary orders come on top of a ban on indoor public gatherings and a 10 percent capacity limit for stores that have been in place for three weeks. Restaurants have been restricted to take out and delivery, while gyms and hair salons have had to close.
Answer your questions about COVID-19, May 27
Earlier this week, a half-dozen doctors called on the Progressive Conservative government to shut down non-essential businesses and enact a stay-at-home order. The increase in the number of patients with COVID-19 and the need to reassign health workers has resulted in the cancellation of surgeries and backlogs in other areas of medical care, they said.
Health officials said more intensive care patients were due to travel to Ontario on Wednesday, as Manitoba reported 312 new cases of COVID-19 and one additional death.
Army expected to arrive in Manitoba on Friday to provide COVID-19 assistance
Provincial data on Thursday showed there were now 324 people in hospital following a novel coronavirus, an increase of six from the previous day, and 73 intensive care patients linked to the virus. The province’s ICU figures do not include patients who were transferred out of Manitoba for care.
There are currently 4,639 active cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba, according to provincial figures, and the current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 12.6% provincially and 14% in Winnipeg.
–With files from the Canadian Press
Questions about COVID-19? Here are some things you should know:
Symptoms can include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing – very similar to a cold or the flu. Some people can develop a more serious illness. Those most at risk are the elderly and people with serious chronic illnesses such as heart, lung or kidney disease. If you develop symptoms, contact public health authorities.
To prevent the virus from spreading, experts recommend washing your hands and coughing up your sleeve frequently. They also recommend minimizing contact with others, staying home as much as possible, and keeping a distance of two meters from other people if you go out. In situations where you cannot keep a safe distance from others, public health officials recommend using a face mask or non-medical blanket to prevent the spread of respiratory droplets that can carry the disease. virus. In some provinces and municipalities across the country, masks or masks are now mandatory in indoor public spaces.
For complete COVID-19 coverage from Global News, visit our Coronavirus page.
Show link »
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.