French YouTuber Leo Grasset was among those contacted. He said on Tuesday he was offered a potentially lucrative but also low-key deal to falsely claim Pfizer’s vaccine posed a deadly risk and that regulators and the mainstream media were covering up the supposed dangers.
Facebook and fake news: US tops list of targets for foreign influence operations
Grasset, who has 1.1 million subscribers on YouTube, says he refused. Other France-based influencers with large audiences on Twitter, Instagram and other platforms also said they were contacted with similar payment offers for the posts.
White House says tech companies have responsibility to stop spread of disinformation, won’t comment on Trump’s Facebook suspension
The person who contacted Grasset identified himself as Anton and said his agency had a “considerable enough” budget for what he described as an “information campaign” on “COVID-19 and vaccines offered to the European population, in particular AstraZeneca and Pfizer ”.
Specifically, Anton asked for a 45-60 second video on Instagram, TikTok or YouTube to say that “the death rate from Pfizer vaccine is 3 times that of AstraZeneca” and wondered why the European Union is l ‘purchased.
“This is a monopoly and harms public health,” Anton said of the EU purchases.
He declined in a follow-up email to disclose who is funding the disinformation campaign, saying, “The customer prefers to remain incognito. “
Fake news on Facebook: 18 million posts with misinformation on COVID-19 deleted
Grasset shared the email exchanges with the Associated Press.
The smear effort drew a scathing response from French Health Minister Olivier Veran.
Grim discovery: hiking family in B.C. finds dozens of severed bear paws
Ontario Reports First Fatal Case of Rare Blood Clot After Man Receives AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine
“It’s pathetic, it’s dangerous, it’s irresponsible and it doesn’t work,” he said.
The person who contacted Grasset said he worked for an advertising agency called Fazze. A website for Fazze gave an address in London, but that had been deleted from the site on Tuesday. Companies House, where UK companies are registered, has no record of Fazze.
Shattering Myths and Misinformation: The Fight for the Truth About COVID-19
The AP sent emails requesting comment to a contact address listed on the website and to the email address Anton used. Neither elicited an immediate response.
Anton’s emails included a password protected link to an error-strewn English set of instructions for the potential campaign.
He said influencers who agreed to participate should not say they were sponsored and should instead “present the material as your own independent point of view.”
Online conspiracies can spark offline violence – and it could happen here
Further instructions were that influencers should say “the mainstream media ignore this topic” and should ask themselves why governments are buying Pfizer.
A trainee doctor in the south of France with tens of thousands of followers who was also approached for the smear effort told French channel BFMTV that he was offered more than 2,000 euros ($ 3,000) for one. 30 second video post.
Grasset said that given the large size of his YouTube subscribers, he might have made tens of thousands of euros (dollars) if he had agreed to participate.
Big Tech CEOs Testify to Spread of Disinformation and Extremism Online in Congress
Instead, he replied, “I can’t work for a client who doesn’t give their name and asks me to hide the partnership.”
“Too many red flags,” Grasset said in an interview with AP. “I decided not to do it.”
“They wanted me to talk about the Pfizer vaccine in a way that would damage the reputation of the Pfizer vaccine,” he said.
He said the misinformation effort was driving home the need for people to “be super, super careful” about what they see online.
“We creators on YouTube, the Internet, Instagram, et cetera, we are at the center of something that is happening like an information war,” he said. “As creators we have to set our standards very high because this is, I think, just the beginning.”