The Duke of Edinburgh died at the age of 99 at Windsor Castle on the morning of April 9 while Harry and Meghan Markle slept in California.
Officials at the US Embassy have made several attempts to contact Harry while he was asleep around 3 a.m. following the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
Police have reportedly been dispatched to Prince Harry’s home to make sure he does not learn of Prince Philip’s death on the news due to jet lag.
Buckingham Palace issued an official statement at 12 noon in the UK – 4 a.m. in Los Angeles.
With no response from the Duke of Sussex, police officers from the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Department have been dispatched to the gates of his mansion in Montecito, reports TMZ.
They told him to contact the embassy immediately.
Harry paid tribute to his grandfather shortly after his death, describing him as “a man of service, honor and great humor”.
In a statement released through his Archewell Foundation, he added: “He was authentically himself, with a very sharp mind, and could hold the attention of any room because of his charm – and also because you never knew what he might say next.
“He will be remembered as the monarch’s longest reigning husband, a decorated soldier, a prince and a duke.
“But to me, like many of you who have lost a loved one or grandparent to the pain of the past year, he was my grandfather: barbecue master, joke legend and cheeky until the end.
“He has been a rock to Her Majesty The Queen with unprecedented dedication, by her side for 73 years of marriage, and while I could go on, I know right now he would say to all of us, beer in hand , ‘Oh come on!’ “
A Palace source said: ‘Regardless of the truth or not, we would not comment on this as it is a personal and private matter which in my opinion is not in any way in the public interest to print.
“How someone is informed of the death of a loved one is not really a matter of guesswork or speculation. It’s private. “
Harry, 36, returned to the UK to attend Philip’s funeral in Windsor, but his very pregnant wife, Meghan Markle, 39, did not travel on the advice of her doctors and remained at home with their son Archie.
It was the first time Harry had been reunited with his family since he and Meghan gave an explosive interview to talk show queen Oprah Winfrey in March.
Meghan claimed the family had several conversations about the unborn child’s black skin and was denied help as she struggled with mental health issues.
Earlier this week, Harry and Oprah revealed that they have been working on their new ‘The Me You Can’t See’ docuseries for two years.
The show explores mental health and emotional well-being and includes interviews with Lady Gaga, Glenn Close, NBA star DeMar DeRozan and others about their experiences.
In the bonus episode, which was organized as a Town Hall chat and released on Friday, the Royal and Oprah revealed that they have been planning the project since they first met years earlier.
At the time, Harry and Meghan had not announced that they would be stepping down from royal duties or moving to California, United States.