The food outlet, operated by Pacific Restaurant Management, LLC, received a red sign on Thursday, May 20 and is to remain closed until all violations are resolved and the Department of Health approves the resumption of operations after a follow-up inspection.
* Scroll down for more photos.
Maui Now attempted to call Pacific Restaurant Management and Pizza in Paradise, but phone calls went unanswered on Monday.
During a routine inspection last week, the health department noted the severity of the violations and immediately issued a red sign to the restaurant. According to the DOH, the inspection report noted that the facility “has a long history of disorder and other violations.”
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD
During the last routine inspection, multiple risk factors for foodborne illness were observed, according to the DOH. The ministry described the following presumed conditions:
- A large pot of old food on the kitchen floor contained live and moving maggots;
- Cockroaches have been observed in several areas of the kitchen, indicating a healthy breeding population;
- The plates of food left in the old dining room were not thrown away and they are covered with small flies of unknown type, possibly fruit flies;
- The facility is completely stocked with items such as boxes and old equipment;
- The hand sink, counters and food prep areas used to store food did not appear to have been cleaned in a long time;
- Vegetables that appear rotten on the exterior surfaces have been stored with other vegetables and it is not known whether they were thrown away or used in food preparation;
- Raw beef, pork and poultry are fully packaged in the two-door refrigerator and not arranged in a way that prevents cross-contamination;
- Food is not refrigerated and stored at appropriate temperatures; and
- Many items such as open cans and bottled products are on the counters with mold growth.
Among the measures that the health service asks the restaurant to take before the reopening, we can mention:
- All insects should be completely brought under control by a professional pest control service provider;
- All plates and food scraps thrown by the customer must be properly thrown away; and
- All items contributing to the debris piles in the restaurant should be removed to avoid an unhealthy food environment.
Pizza in Paradise is located at 60 Wākea Avenue, Suite 101, in Kahului, Maui.