Grandpa overcharged council tax for 16 years – and he can’t get a full refund – fr

Grandpa overcharged council tax for 16 years – and he can’t get a full refund – fr

A grandfather whose house has been placed in the wrong municipal tax bracket for 16 years will not receive a full refund.
Philip Phillips, 65, claims to have overpaid his council tax by more than £ 4,000 over the course of a decade and a half.

The former tanker driver was told that in 2019 his home was placed in the wrong rating range, but this week Philip was told his board was only required to cancel a refund. for up to six years due to a government cap.

Speaking to Wales Online, the angry owner said: ‘Why should they get all this money? I can’t figure it out.

Philip Phillips, 65, lives in Caerphilly, South Wales (file image)

She was told that her house was classified as an F-Band property based on its value in 2003, but that it should have been part of the E-Band.

Currently, residents of a Band F house in Caerphilly, South Wales, have to pay £ 2,215.82 in council tax per year, up from £ 1,874.92 – a difference of one just over £ 340.

Philip said he received a refund of £ 1,596.58 in September 2019 from April 2013 to cover a period of six years.

As part of a rule change introduced by the Welsh government in 2010, a six-year cap was introduced to bring house tax backdating into line with other backdating tax limits and for local authorities comply with data protection requirements so as not to hang on to taxpayers. information longer than necessary.

The Welsh government changed the rules on council tax in 2010

Philip says the ruling means he will lose a refund of up to £ 2,600 which he overpaid in council tax over the remaining 10 years.

“I would be very happy if they gave it to a children’s charity or something like that. First, they charge too much and don’t bother paying too much, then they pocket the money, ”the grandfather, who bought the property in 1999, said.

“In 2019, when a neighbor bought their house, we realized the council had misunderstood the price of the house. We realized he had bought the house for a lot less than what the council said it was worth.

“We realized that we were paying the same council tax as some of the larger properties.

“Within days the board came back and said yes you’re in the wrong group, you shouldn’t be in F-band, you should be in E-band.

“My oldest grandson is now 16, so from birth to school and all of his childhood until now, they messed up my housing tax. When you say it in those terms, it’s a long time. “

Loading video
Video unavailable

The former tanker driver is now urging people to keep an eye on their municipal tax bracket. Residents can challenge the tape of their property if they believe it is wrong and can provide supporting evidence.

He continued, “There could be thousands of people in the wrong groups. The council knows it and they don’t want to pay it back, they just leave it up to the head of the house to do things for them.

“They don’t have a real system for knowing what banding these houses should be in. I know we have to pay for our services and the price of where we live and it’s a lovely place, but it seems so unfair.

” Some months [after finding out about the banding] I went to the corner of the houses the same as ours and asked them which group they were paying and they said F.

“I said I was paying the E band, the board didn’t make contact and they said no. I told them and they got in touch with the board and downsized theirs.

A Caerphilly County Borough Council spokesperson said: ‘We are unable to comment on individual cases but can confirm that in Wales the Assessment Office Agency (VOA) is legally responsible for assessing and changing the tax brackets of the council, not the local authority. Residents can appeal to the VOA to revise its municipal tax range, but current regulations state that if an appeal is successful, we can only reimburse overpayments for a maximum period of six years. “

A VOA spokesperson said: “We cannot comment on individual cases. A taxpayer can challenge their advice tax bracket if they believe it is wrong and can provide supporting evidence. More information can be found online at ”

A Welsh government spokesperson said: “A six-year limit on backdating house tax reassessments was introduced in 2010.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here