Geoff Thomas fears Tour de France charity challenge may be canceled again –

0
13
Geoff Thomas fears Tour de France charity challenge may be canceled again – fr


Former England midfielder Geoff Thomas fears his £ 1million Tour de France charity challenge canceled for a second year in a row due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Thomas, 56, a blood cancer survivor, plans to lead a team of 25 amateur cyclists who will complete the entire 3,384-kilometer Tour de France course a week before the pros – the former Crystal Palace captain will rise to the challenge for a fifth and potentially the last time.

The group has already raised £ 700,000 for Cure Leukaemia, with the aim of helping the charity fill a shortfall of £ 1.7million in 2020, but the French government’s announcement of a Seven-day quarantine for all visitors to France from the UK put their plans in jeopardy.

Today Thomas and the man who saved his life Professor Charlie Craddock CBE urged the French and UK governments to provide a special waiver for the group to travel before the scheduled start date of June 19.

“As last year’s event was also postponed, we have now been training for almost two years and through the endless hours of training we have undertaken we have always had patients at the center of our minds. , knowing that it is much more than a simple cycling challenge. Thomas said.

“By raising at least £ 1,000,000 from Tour 21, we will ensure more blood cancer patients survive this horrible disease and give hope to blood cancer patients through the world.”

Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme also supported the group.

“I just want to say, help cure leukemia, thank you for curing leukemia, thank you for this great challenge, thank you for helping others. You are welcome to join the Tour de France family, ”he said.

Pennsylvania

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here