Alexandra McLeod Primary School in Abbey Wood, south-east London, has opened an investigation into the alleged incident that left the youngster “deeply injured”.
The student at the reception has never had his hair cut because of his religion and his parents now say they are too scared to send their son to school, My London reports.
Speaking on social media, a parent of the boy said: “I am only posting this because we parents are deeply hurt by this incident which happened today with my son at school. Alexandra McLeod Abbey Wood.
“My son is only 5 years old a Sikh boy and I have never cut my hair but someone at school today cut his hair with scissors and my boy is really upset and says : “I am not going to school now”.
“I don’t understand where a host student can get scissors from and that’s a shame.
“It’s bullying that shouldn’t be accepted. We are really afraid to send him to school. I don’t know what to do to secure it in the future. “
The school said it was aware of the incident last Friday, which allegedly took place when “most of the staff were gone”, and that the matter would be investigated.
The UK Sikh Federation said it was “totally unacceptable and devastating” for the child’s “sacred uncut hair” to be cut by “another pupil”.
He tweeted: “Totally unacceptable and devastating to hear about the bullying and assault on a 5 year old boy at South London School Alexandra McLeod.
“For a Sikh boy, having his sacred uncut hair cut by another student while in school is one of the worst possible #Anitsikhhate crimes. »
The federation called for an urgent meeting with Gavin Williamson, Secretary of State for Education, to discuss the “shocking case” and other recent allegations of bullying “against anti-Sikh hatred” in schools across the Kingdom -United.
They added, “We are offering our full support to the family and will urge the school and the authorities to conduct a thorough investigation. #NoCoverUps « .
Jas Atwal, the Sikh leader of Redbridge Council in east London, said he was disgusted to learn of the incident.
“It’s appalling to see this happen to anyone, let alone a five-year-old,” he said.
“Tired of hearing that, why is it still happening?” “
Members of the audience also responded and said, “It was an assault as young as the child did that to him and now the poor boy doesn’t want to go to school!” It’s horrible … “
Another wrote: “Absolutely disgusting. My heart breaks just at the thought of what this little boy had to go through and how he must feel inside. Totally unacceptable!
While another said: “I don’t understand why so much religious intolerance among us. Unacceptable. “
The elementary school responded to the incident and said it would meet with the student’s parents.
A statement read: “In response to messages received: An incident was reported on Friday afternoon after the departure of the children and most of the staff.
“A meeting had already been organized with the child’s parents.
“Please believe that the matter will be fully and fairly investigated.”