Edmonton wrestler Mark Kinghorn beats COVID-19 odds after medically induced coma – Edmonton –

Edmonton wrestler Mark Kinghorn beats COVID-19 odds after medically induced coma – Edmonton – fr

For over 20 years, Mark Kinghorn has battled wrestlers of all sizes in the ring, but a recent fight with COVID-19 is one he wishes he never had to face.

“I had my first symptom on a Saturday night, I think it was May 8,” said Kinghorn, who is a professional wrestler in Edmonton.

He said it started with chills and then got worse.

“All the symptoms came on: I lost my sense of taste and I had a sore throat, cough, headache, everything. It was the worst, ”Kinghorn said.

Read more:

Hinshaw expresses support for Alberta’s COVID-19 plan to reopen, says success depends on vaccine uptake

He was scheduled to receive a vaccine but opted for a test instead; he was found to be positive for COVID-19.

The story continues under the ad

“Normally I’m the healthiest guy – I’m healthier than 99 percent of the people out there, very rarely get sick,” Kinghorn said.

Having trouble breathing, he called 911 and was rushed to hospital.

“One of the best lung specialists or doctors was like, ‘Mark, can you breathe like this for 12 hours?’ I’m like, ‘If I have to do it but I’m not feeling well,’ ”he said.

It was then that the doctor told him he would be put on a ventilator and in a medically induced coma.

He was in a coma for a day, after waking up he was lucky enough to have a visit from his sister whom he never expected to see again.

Image or Laura and Mark Kinghorn.

Laura Kinghorn / Global News

“I see her, but I had the fan and the tubes in my throat and I couldn’t speak at all, so the only way to communicate with her was to write it down,” Mark Kinghorn said.

The story continues under the ad

Barely able to move, he wrote the words I’m scared, so scared, how long can you stay… don’t go.

Picture letter written to Laura Kinghorn by her brother Mark after waking up from her coma.

Laura Kinghorn / Global News

“Having my older brother whom I adore, he tells me he’s afraid it’s completely out of his character and all I thought about at the time was that I had to be strong and that I couldn’t cry, ”said Laura Kinghorn.

On the eighth day – he was still afraid of what might happen – he heard good news: his doctor told him he could go home.

“I just threw my hands up and I was like ‘Yes!’ He just started to laugh and it was like that was a good reaction, ”Kinghorn said.

He is now at home on the road to recovery. After coming close to death, he urges everyone to follow the rules and get vaccinated.

The story continues under the ad

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here