The government’s coronavirus restrictions website has changed its guidelines in recent days for people living in eight regions where the new COVID-19[feminine[feminine worrisome variant is spreading.
He indicates that the local authority areas to which the new council applies are: Bedford Council, Blackburn Council with Darwen Council, Bolton Metropolitan Council, Burnley Council, Kirklees Council, Leicester Council, Hounslow Council and North Tyneside Council.
The government website says, “In the areas listed… where possible, you should try to meet outdoors rather than indoors when possible; stay 2 meters away from people you don’t live with (unless you’ve formed a supportive bubble with them), this includes friends and family you don’t live with; Avoid traveling in and out of affected areas unless it is essential, for example for work (if you cannot work from home) or for study.
The new guidelines appear to have been released without any widespread announcement.
The chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Coronavirus has urged Health Secretary Matt Hancock to make a public statement in Parliament to provide “urgent clarity” on the new local restrictions.
Layla Moran said, “This is a major policy change that will have a huge impact on people’s lives. Simply updating the government website without an official announcement is a recipe for confusion and uncertainty.
“Local people and public health officials in these areas need urgent clarity from the government. Matt Hancock is due to appear before Parliament and make a public statement explaining these new rules.
“It seems that crucial lessons have still not been learned about the importance of a clear message during a pandemic. “
The Manchester Evening News says it understands that local leaders and local public health directors in Bolton were unaware of the guidelines, until news broke on Monday.
Bolton, Blackburn with Darwen and Bedford currently have the three worst two-week infection rates in the country, according to Sky News analysis.
They also have the fastest growth rates.
As of Monday evening, none of the eight authorities appeared on their own website to advise residents to avoid traveling in or out of their commune.
A spokesperson for the Ministry of Health and Social Affairs said: “Together with local authorities, we have taken swift and decisive action to slow the spread of variant B.1.617.2 by introducing surge testing and by offering second doses of the vaccine for the most vulnerable.
“We provided additional guidance to people living in affected areas when we became aware of the risk posed by the variant, to encourage people to take an extremely careful approach when meeting other people or traveling. “
Sky News understands that the latest guidance was provided for Bolton on May 14, and the other seven areas were added as new data became available.
The easing of restrictions across England on May 17 still apply in these areas, but DHSC believes it is necessary to continue to exercise caution to help reduce the risk of the virus spreading.
Last week the Secretary of Health Matt Hancock hasn’t ruled out imposing a local lockdown restrictions in places most affected by the Indian variant.
It comes as NHS Test and Trace has launched surge tests in a number of postcodes across the Hart District, the Borough of Rushmoor and the Surrey border in Hampshire, after a small number of cases confirmed cases of the Indian variant of concern B.1.617.2 were found. .
UK recorded 2,439 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, with three more deaths within 28 days of a positive test.