COVID-19: Blackburn officials deny those over 18 will be offered coronavirus vaccine after communication error

0
21
COVID-19: Blackburn officials deny those over 18 will be offered coronavirus vaccine after communication error


Officials at Blackburn have been forced to deny that those over 18 will be able to get the COVID-19 vaccine, just hours after announcing that additional doses would be available next week.

Earlier Thursday, Blackburn and the Darwen Borough Council said he and his NHS partners had secured additional doses of the vaccine that would be made available to anyone over the age of 18 in the local authority area in starting next week.

The areas included Bastwell and Daisyfield; Billinge and Beardwood; and Shear Brow and Corporation Park.

However, in a subsequent statement, authorities in Lancashire said additional vaccines would not be widely available for all adults.

It comes as Blackburn is seeing an increase in cases, while large parts of England have seen significant declines.

COVID updates live from UK and around the world

The local authority confirmed that additional vaccination clinics were being set up, but in a statement said: “Unlike social media and previous reports, vaccines in the clinics will not be widely available for those over. 18 years old.

“They will be available under current government guidelines, which currently apply to anyone over the age of 38, anyone over the age of 18 with an underlying health condition or who lives with someone who has lowered the immunity, health and social workers and caregivers.

Bolton can be vaccinated without an appointment on the city’s mobile vaccination bus.

Last week the UK Medicines Safety Regulation announced that adults those under 40 will have an alternative to the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine due to a link to rare blood clots.

Britain’s medicines safety regulator said there had been 242 cases of coagulation and 49 deaths, with 28.5 million doses of the vaccine administered.

But the risk is slightly higher in younger age groups.

Earlier today, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was “Worried” about the Indian variant and that the government was “not ruling anything out” when it came to controlling the spread.

“We want to make sure that we take all the prudential steps, all the prudent steps that we can now take,” he said.

“So there are meetings going on today to look at exactly what we need to do. “

Subscribe to the daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Asked whether the government was considering surge vaccinations alongside surge testing in areas with spikes of new variants, Downing Street said officials “would not rule anything out.”

The Prime Minister’s spokesperson also said there were “no plans” to reintroduce the tiered virus restriction system used in England late last year.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here