Both Netflix and BAFTA received an anonymous email this week containing allegations regarding Hanson. The Times of London reported on Saturday that it was the subject of complaints from 11 women, who have detailed charges dating from 2008 to 2015. Hanson strenuously denies any wrongdoing.
Netflix has confirmed that Hanson is no longer a producer on After life. A spokesperson said: “On Monday we received an anonymous email containing historical allegations about a producer on one of our tracks. While the allegations are unrelated to his time on the show, we immediately took him out of production and referred the matter to the police.
Zack Snyder’s Army of the Dead is heading to Netflix’s 10 most-watched movies list with 72 million households
In a statement, Gervais added: “I am shocked and dismayed to learn of the historic allegations made by a number of women against Charlie Hanson. The decision has been taken to immediately withdraw it from production and I have no doubts that the matter is being dealt with thoroughly. “
The BAFTA has also confirmed that it has suspended Hanson’s membership. A spokesperson said: “We have received a number of very serious detailed allegations about an individual and although we are not their employer, we immediately made the decision to suspend their membership. BAFTA is an arts charity and does not have the authority to investigate allegations of historical abuse, so we referred the matter to the police. The behavior alleged by these accounts is heinous, in complete opposition to BAFTA values and has no place in our industry.
In a statement via his attorney, Hanson told Deadline: “I have been made aware of allegations made against me regarding inappropriate conduct towards women dating back several years. Based on the summaries provided to me, I understand that many of these accusations are made anonymously and are patently false.
“I haven’t had a single complaint in decades of working in the media industry. I categorically reject any wrongdoing on my part and strongly refute the allegations that have been made against me. I have worked with and supported hundreds of men and women in my professional life and will do whatever is necessary to protect and / or restore my reputation. I will also cooperate with all formal inquiries. The matter is now in the hands of my lawyers.
A spokesperson for Hanson’s agent, United Agents, said: “We were shocked to learn of the historic allegations. While this matter is under investigation, we have suspended our representation of him. His profile has been removed from the United Agents website.
The Times published a snippet of the email sent to Netflix and BAFTA, which read: “Charlie Hanson is a predator who uses his reputation, connections and position to trick much younger, impressionable and sometimes vulnerable women into making him. trust.”
Hanson has previously denounced the industry’s misconduct following the charges against actor Noel Clarke. In his comments to Variety earlier this month, he criticized BAFTA’s response to the allegations against Clarke after the organization presented him with an Outstanding British Contribution to Film Award. “A lot of people saw the BAFTA email and were disappointed that three prominent [industry figures] came to talk to them about the harassment allegations and they didn’t have the time they deserved, ”said Hanson.
Hanson is a veteran of the BAFTA-winning British comedy scene and has worked as a producer on many top shows including Birds of a feather, Do not exit, and Reggie Perrin. He is a frequent collaborator of Gervais, having worked with Office creator on After life, Supplements, Derekand features David Brent: Life on the Road and Junction of the cemetery.