Cases rise beyond 3,400 as ICU admissions tend to decline – fr

0
9
Cases rise beyond 3,400 as ICU admissions tend to decline – fr


TORONTO – Ontario is reporting more than 3,400 new cases of COVID-19 as the number of intensive care patients with the disease appears to be declining.

The 3,424 infections reported Thursday represent an increase from Wednesday’s total when 2,941 were added. A day earlier, the province had registered 2,791 cases.

Thursday’s report marks the fifth day in a row that intensive care unit (ICU) admissions of COVID-19 have declined.

Intensive care admissions hit a record 900 earlier this month and now stand at 877. Previously, the number of intensive care patients had been rising steadily since mid-March.

Less than a month ago, Executive Vice-President of Ontario Health, Dr. Chris Simpson, warned that reaching 900 COVID-19 patients in the intensive care unit could result in a triage protocol that would prevent some of the oldest and sickest patients receive the highest standard of care. available.

However, Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott told CP24 earlier this week that the arrows are starting to point to the worst-case scenario.

Laboratories across Ontario processed 54,118 tests in the past 24 hours, yielding a positivity rate of 6.8%, according to the Ministry of Health.

Since the start of the pandemic, the province has recorded 483,057 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 440,467 recoveries and 8,213 deaths. At least 26 of these deaths were reported the day before.

The seven-day average number of reported cases in Ontario is 3,368, down from 3,810 reported this time last week.

Currently, there are 34,377 active cases of the novel coronavirus in the province.

Where are the new COVID-19 cases?

Most of the cases reported Thursday were found in Toronto (958), Peel Region (900) and York Region (291).

The province also reported triple-digit case counts for Durham Region (175), Hamilton (155), Halton Region (129), Niagara Region (127) and Ottawa (108).

Ontario has been operating under a province-wide stay-at-home order for almost a month. The order will expire on May 20 at the earliest.

Update on Concerning COVID-19 Variants in Ontario

Another 2,839 cases of the COVID-19 variant known as B.1.1.7 have been confirmed in the past 24 hours, bringing the total of cases for the strain first found in the UK to 83,350.

Meanwhile, labs linked 54 more swabs to variant P.1 (Brazilian variant), bringing the total number of cases to 1,055.

Nine other swabs were also connected to the B.1.351 variant, which was discovered in South Africa. There are 326 confirmed cases of the strain.

Ontario is not currently reporting the number of variant B.1.617 infections, which was first documented in India.

Ontario administers a record number of vaccines

Premier Doug Ford announced that Ontario had reached a single-day record for the number of vaccines administered.

In a tweet posted Thursday, Ford said 141,038 needles entered guns on Wednesday alone.

“With over 5.7 million doses delivered daily, we are making great strides thanks to the hard work of our frontline healthcare heroes,” he said.

The province said 384,589 people had received their first and second vaccines and were considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

With files from Katherine DeClerq of CTV News Toronto.

Past:

The numbers used in this story can be found in the Ontario Ministry of Health’s Daily Epidemiological Summary for COVID-19. The number of cases for a city or region may differ slightly from what is reported by the province, as local units report the numbers at different times.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here